Getting reluctant infant to take a sippy cup....

My twins are 9.5 months old now. They were born 5 weeks early, and both had some trouble adjusting to feeding. One will attempt to use a sippy cup a little, but the other won't even let it past his lips. I've tried a few different kinds of cups, tried rubbing formula or apple juice around the mouth piece, nothing works. I had my DD weaned off the bottle by 10 months, and would like the boys to be off before the majority of thier teeth come in. Any suggestions.

Kimedbs

Asked by Kimedbs at 3:30 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think my dd was a little older than that when I introduced it, but I had problems too. I had to try a bunch of different sippy cups and she ended up liking the kind that has a straw.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Just keep offering it. My son drank it by accident, then he realized there was something in it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I was lucky enough never to have that problem, but I will bump this and maybe you'll get lots of good answers :)
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 3:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• The little child I take care of took about two weeks to get used to the cup at 12 months. Let them experiment and manipulate it and stick to one kind. They will get it when they can. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2011