Caffeine?

i read in my what to expect when your expecting book that you can have up to 200mg of caffeine a day when your pregnant. im not a coffee drinker or anything but i do love an occassional soda i have been seriously watching the caffeine and i just buy like root beer and sprite since its caffeine free. i was just wondering if anyone had any problems because of too much caffeine and if the book is right about the caffeine intake. my doctor said it was a good book to read. any comments would be nice.

wifey000175554

Asked by wifey000175554 at 3:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Everything is fine in moderation. I'm 34 weeks now and having a capachino...yum!
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I ask that to my self everyday
    jess410

Answer by jess410 at 3:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• 200 mg a day MAXIMUM is correct. Different sodas vary in amounts of caffeine, but here's a link to the Mayo Clinic's website with the caffeine levels (click on "soft drinks").

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I didnt change my diet one bit while preggo either time and my babies are just fine, and so am I. That diet included caffeine

yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• my doc recommended limiting myself to 1-2 *cups* (which is the equivalent of 1 mug) of coffee per day. however, don't just be aware of the caffeine intake with sodas but also the sugar intake. even caffeine-free drinks lik root beer and sprite can have very high sugar content. if you do really like root beer (as i do!) i recommend getting an herbal root beer extract (zatarans is good) and making your own so you could control the amount of sugar going in, like iced tea, or use a doctor-approved sugar substitute if it comes down to it.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 3:42 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I have heard that too. I am pregnant also and allow myself to have 1 soda or 1 coffee a day. Soda isn't really a good thing to drink during pregnancy because of the sugar anyway, so limiting yourself to just one (or none) a day is probably a good thing. I did the same thing in my last pregnancy and the caffine did not cause any problems.... I wouldn't go nuts though.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 3:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• i just have a soda like every other day if that. the bubbles help and i cat stand things like club soda or sparkling water
    wifey000175554

Comment by wifey000175554 (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• i didnt drink soda before i was pregnant, but now i crave it! my husband and i get caffine free dr pepper, but i still get a cherry vanilla dr pepper from sonic evry once in a while, im 31 weeks and havent had a problem at all. :)
    jdish

Answer by jdish at 3:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• my dr. said 2-3 cups of coffee per day was fine. She said absolutely no mountain dew due to there being so much caffeine in that.
    jtruax

Answer by jtruax at 4:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Even if you were to cut out all coffee/soda, there is still caffeine found naturally in foods..... I drink at least one can (46mgs caffeine each) of diet soda per day. Some days I'll even have *gasp* TWO cans of diet pepsi. I figure as long as I am drinking plenty of water, the 90 mgs of caffeine is just fine.
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2011