How do you deal with gifts you do not particularly like?

For example, if you were to get some baby clothes that were not useful to you,etc. what do you do? Even if you are thankful for the thought?

jtruax

Asked by jtruax at 3:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• I keep the tags on them and put them in her drawer just in case i have a change of heart or want to use them, then if she outgrows them i can send them brand new to goodwill
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 3:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Thank them and donate it to charity after the kid has outgrown the size.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Depends. If they were hand me downs, I'd ask if they wanted them back. If they were new, keep them. They won't know that they have never worn the clothes. But in my experience, babies can never have too many clothes...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• what she said. accept the gift with gratitude and donate to someone who does need it.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 3:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I just tell people what I like or want and that saves the trouble of awkward exchanges.
    NTAMS

Answer by NTAMS at 3:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It depend, but most of the time I would say thank you and find out were they got it and exchange it.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 3:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I smile say thank you, take the picture holding the item and later re-gift said item.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 3:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I thank the person and then donate the clothes to somone/someplace that can use them.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Of course I graciously say thank you and tell the giver how cute the outfit is. Then I put it in the back of the closet until I can give it away without notice. If it is from a grandma or someone we see often then I usually put my DD in the outfit once so they can see her in it, like when we are going over to their house or something. I just figure one day in an ugly outfit won't kill my kid, the person loves to see the baby dressed up in whatever they obviously thought was so cute, and maybe I'll get lucky and she'll vomit and/or poop all over the thing and then I can just throw it away with a clean conscience.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I would do what everybody else says, but I once received an outfit for my dd that I didn't really like. But one day I put it on her,because she was just going to be in the house that day. But to my surpise it was kind of cute on her.
    cherylw993

Answer by cherylw993 at 4:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2011