Have you seen a job posting saying that being bilingual is a plus, but not necessary for the position?

and when you try and submit an application, they say they are really looking for someone who is bilingual. Can they be reported at the employment dept for placing misleading ads? This is pretty common at check cashing places and temp agencies

filmom2ethan

Asked by filmom2ethan at 4:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• Not really.. Even though the ad may state that it is a plus, the employer can weed out those who are not (since they most likely will have applicants who are).. The employer sounds like they prefer a bilingual employee, therefore yes it is a "plus" but stated that way they can legally weed out those who aren't bilingual since their business/patrons could benefit from someone who is.. The reason they state "plus but not necessary" is to get a larger pool of applicants to choose from overall and it helps to increase the number of applicants who are bilingual as well (those who may not be fluent enough to solely speak that language, but fluent enough to handle customers at their business). It's a tactic used to get more applicants in order to have a better pool to choose from, gives more leg room to weed out people, and possibly have a better chance of finding the closest applicant for what they are wanting.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Its code that they only hire hispanics.
    Anonymous

• I know right..... YET the BILINGUAL (alot of times) cant speak English well enough for us to understand it..... go figure ''' just saying""
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 4:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I live in Jersey and I'm bilingual...too bad bilingual means speaking spanish.. smh
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 4:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I wish! but no you can not.. they will hire someone who isn't in a pinch
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I see it all the time. Unfortunately, you can't prove you weren't hired because you weren't bilingual. I do agree...it sucks!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 4:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I am too is bilingual but in another language. I have worked twice at a department store, but wanted to upgrade myself to a better job schedule since my husband works in a grocery store, and his schedule constantly changes so it has affected my performance at work at both instances. I just feel bad that even temp agencies has not treated me well lately, which was the opposite 3 or 4 years ago. What made this feeling even worse was that I was calling to find out if the position has been filled, and I heard this temp agency employee chuckle at the other end of the line before asking me, "Are you bilingual"?
    filmom2ethan

Comment by filmom2ethan (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It's been my personal experience that temp agencies never treat people well. It's all a number games for them. They get paid based on the number of people they recruit, not the number they place in jobs, yet alone good jobs. I'm sorry this happened to you. Have you tried to see if there are any free computer or other courses locally you can take? That might help you find a better job with less hassle.
    MoversShakers

Answer by MoversShakers at 2:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• moversShakers, thanks for the reply. I am one of those immigrant moms who finds it hard to get a job similar to or close to the nature of the job that they left in their home country. I have held office jobs for 10yrs or so and the last one with a government agency, before settling for a retail job here in the U.S. because that's the only job that I can get. A lot of people in my husband's side of the family have talked about starting out or gaining some experience with a temp agency. Now I'm thinking of getting a certificate course or anything that's going to update my resume'.
    filmom2ethan

Comment by filmom2ethan (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2011