How to keep stuff form smelling like cats?

We have at lest 10 cats. they are inside/outside cats. then we have 5 dogs right now, 3 are ours and 2 we are taking care of for now. the school called and told me that my dd school stuff smell like cats. is there anyway I could send extra coat and shoes to school? I told them I would try. what can I do to keep this from going to far. I love my cats and dog. I also wash her stuff once a week.

di607

Asked by di607 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Equal parts Listerine/bleach/vinegar, half water. Cats could be spraying in your dirty laundry baskets, on her bedding, or coat. Try that solution, if it doesn't work, dry cleaners!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:30 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• If all of your cats are fixed, drop her coat off at the dry cleaner have them clean it for you and try to keep it somewhere that the animals won't get into it.. a closet or something or make her room off limits to cats. our 3 cats are not allowed in the bedrooms.
    Anonymous

• I think you should get rid of some cats or make them outside cats. Animal smell is gross and she may smell like urine. Are the cats peeing in the house? Is their fur all over the furniture? It is very hard to keep a clean house with only a few animals but i cant imagine all those cats and dogs. You may be used to the smell but it is probably very strong to outsiders.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Xmama...Seriously grow up. I am sure if it comes to it she will do what is best for her babies. How about trying to fix the problem first?! I am sure you are a perfect mother and have nothing at all to work on or that you should fix.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 4:27 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• the only thing left would be to put it hanging outside where the animals can't reach it.. that is a lot of animals wow!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Get rid of some of the cats.Not to be rude, but that is just gross.
    Anonymous

• OH Sweetie, with that many the smell is not going to completely go away. ( I know, I have 6) For cleaning outside the box unine accidents (or on purposes) use half water and half Vinigar. Vinigar cuts that smell and then disapates (spelling??) I put baking powder in their boxes and in areas around the house. The idea is that they can't smell their notty spots and do it again. Other then that I love candles, lots of'em.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 4:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Thanks the animal shelter is full. I love animals. I live in the county. My dd would be every up set if the cats don't find any good homes.
    di607

Comment by di607 (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Ok I am not sure how to get the smell out but I had over 20 cats and 7 dogs and my house never had a smell. I cleaned litter boxes 2 times a day and the dogs were crate trained. I also used Carpet Fresh Super Pet no vacuum spray on the carpet and bathed the dogs once a week. I would get her a few things that are kept out of the house

sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• What I'm thinking it is, there are 2 males that have been fighting they might be spraying. I do try to keep the animals out for her room. the house don't smell. I clean every day. will be trying to put her school stuff up were the cats can't get to them. My dd don't get teased about it. Its the teacher that is say it. I do wont to fix the proublem before it gets to that point. and if you don't wont to help to fix it please stop judging me.
    di607

Comment by di607 (original poster) at 5:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2011