I need home remedies for a bad cough and congestion.

Ok so it started with my oldest last month (she will be 6 in 2 weeks), but she missed 5 days straight of school in march. She threw up the first 2 days and had a fever up to 102. Well the second day also she could barely talk she had no voice then the third day she started coughing the fourth day she was coughing, but had her voice back. She had a fever for 7 days straight. I was going to send her to school that next Monday, but she had a fever still of 99 so I kept her home one more day by that evening it was gone so I was going to send her on Tuesday, but she woke me up early in the morning saying her ear hurt and was crying so I got her into the doctor they said her ear was a little red, but not enough to give her meds for (her doctor was booked so we saw a diffrent dr there). We came home she was crying all evening so I called back at 7 and they said the dr was gone, but they would call tomorrow well they gave her meds the ear pain went away, but not the cough. Then this month it has gotten worse she missed 2 more days of school this month with a fever. Her ear was hurting again saw her dr and she said it could be a sinus infection again the ear pain went away, but still coughing real bad. We went and took both my kids last month also before seeing our dr to a diffrent location that had an opening for a sunday and nothing was wrong with them. My oldest has been tested 2 times for strep and nothing. So my oldest has been to the dr 3 times and mjy youngest 1time. I can't afford to take them again deffinatly not this month and I already owe them 100.00. My youngest is 3 years old. They both have been coughing really bad and there nose is stuffed really bad and my youngest nose looks like a waterfall. Is there anything I can do at home? I can't afford to go back the rest of this month. I have tried cough meds as well. I have been giving them that since last month so I hate to give them anymore of that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Take the child outside a lot, fresh air is good. Also, try not to stuff her with medicine because then her immune system will suck later on in life and she wont be too happy about that. Hot tea with honey, vicks, fruits and vegetables, rest, and some tlc. Thats what my mom did and I'm alive and well.

You can also open all of your windows and air out your house, wash their sheets, clean the house as much as possible and keep it dust free, and grow some plants in the house =)
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 5:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• run your hot water in the bathroom and sit with her in there for a bit.. a humidifier, vicks, peppermint tea..
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Papaya enzyme. They are little white oval chewables. They are actually for your digestion but also work well for mucus and takes coughing away. They used to sell these at walmart but mine doesn't carry them anymore. Also can get from health food stores. I've had to wake my kiddos up in the night to take a few so I could sleep :-D. My kids know where to go if there coughing, plus  they taste good.

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 4:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Thanks xmama_bellax.. I probably should have pointed out that the papaya is not a med but more of a natural vitamin.. :-D I dont like medicine either..Not unless it's a must, sometimes it is

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• LIMES WITH HONEY MIX HONEY KILLS BACTERIAS
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 10:18 AM on Apr. 16, 2011