Anyone have a pet mouse?

My DD wants one.

If you have a mouse as a pet, what are the pros and the cons?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Pets

• Mice are cool to look at. they are hard to hold and major escape artist. Easy to care for and cheap to feed. That being said. IMO rats are better pets. They are social, they like to be held and even cuddle. They are smart and can actually learn to come when called or learn commands! Also fun to watch and easy to care for. I had 3 at different times and my first was by far the best. He learned to ride on my shoulder everywhere I went! He was a really sweet boy.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• i have had one who was an escape artist and caused a lot of damage to our home. he flooded our kitchen by chewing a hole in a hose to the dishwasher. chewed through our mattress, chewed the walls. anything i put him in he managed to climb up and chew out. i suggest a guinea pig, the are clean, friendly, love to be around people. we love ours!!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• its just amazing how social guinea pigs are once they get to know you. ..almost like dogs
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I used to have them for several years- I had five over the course of several years. They are quite smart, they can get friendly if you handle them often. However, I wouldn't recommend them for small kids (under ten, for example) because they are very small, very fragile, and very quick! They do not sit still when you handle them- they run hand over hand until you put them back. They will also dart up sleeves... as a teen I had one go up my sleeve and finish up somewhere in the front of my bra! It's very easy for a small child to hurt a mouse who goes up their sleeve without meaning to. The other downside, for me, was that short lifespan. I loved my mice, and they only live two or three years if you're lucky.

Out of all the rodents (I've owned several species) my favourites are rats and guinea pigs. Rats are just like large, more sedate mice, and our two guinea pigs are very sweet lap pets and great with the kids.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• depends on its temperament pros are they're easy to care for and most like to be washed in the sink. cons when they die they die u get no warning and some have allergy's like we do. i want a rat so bad Ive had mice and love them but a rat is bigger and i love the exercise balls :)
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 7:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2011