Meds and adhd children?

Now some people are against giving an adhd child meds at all. Deal they say! I've heard it and I do deal everyday, but ether way I'm doing what I am to help her in school.
I tried a lot of meds when my dd was younger, I wasn't happy with any of the side effects they caused to such a small child, so I made the choose to take her off of them and as some will say deal with the way things are. We do have some behavior problems at home with her but we take care of it. Time outs, taking tv time as well as the phone now that shes getting older but now the school tells me that they are having a lot of academic problem. No focus,day dreams as well as moves around a lot. Her ped. recommended that I take her to a behavior counselor as well as let them put her back on meds. I agreed and yesterday the specialist I take her too put her on Strattera, which she has already been on before(had loss of appetite) but he wants to put her on them slowly starting 10mg for five day then 18mg until she reaches 60mg. Just wondering if anyone else has used it and good or bad effects it had. DD is 11.

Kimberly71682

Asked by Kimberly71682 at 4:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• You have to do what is best for YOUR child and not go by what others say. You can look out our experiences but the decision is what you feel is best for your child. I fought meds for 2 years. Put my son on meds and it was an amazing turnaround. He went from failing school and getting in trouble to making honor roll and not getting in trouble. He has been on Ritalin, Concerta and Vyvanse. He didn't gain much weight while he was on Ritalin and Concerta but we worked with that by making sure he had a good breakfast, had snacks all day, drank Pediasure, took vitmains and had a good dinner once his meds wore off at night. He also had a snack right before bed. Once his body got used to the meds, he started gaining weight. He took meds for 4 years and at 14 chose to stop and try to control symptoms himself. He is doing pretty good but it's not easy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Meds work differently for each child. My twin boys have Acute Genetic ADHD. They were diagnosed at 6 & are now 18 & graduating next month. Concerta did absolutely nothing for them. Yet, Strattera worked very well. At 17, they outgrew the dosage availability of that. They are now on Vyvanse & they are doing very well. They will tell you that it works wonders for them. Ppl tend to advise you to go through the food elimination process. The ADHD diet=nothing with ANY wheat content, NO dairy, no food coloring (no big loss but try shopping for that), the list goes on. By the time you do the ADHD diet, about all one can eat is vegetables. Sorry, NOT taking sandwiches, cheese, milk, eggs, meat, etc from my kids' diet! There are lots of ADHD meds to work with. It just takes some time to figure out the right one & the dosage. My boys will testify that they are thankful for their meds & are glad to be able to eat their fave foods.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I would look deeper into removing environmental causes before I put my kid on meds. Red 40 and Yellow 5 food dye are the easiest place to start. And would try the behavioral intervention alone before adding meds to it, otherwise, how are you supposed to know which one is actually helping?
    Its.Me.T.

Answer by Its.Me.T. at 5:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My Brother was on the study for Strattera and I had a math teacher that was on it. They both really liked it and found it very helpful.
    Just dealing with it doesn't work for a lot of people and I'm saying this as a 10th grade drop out (I did finish just not in the same way as my peers)whose parents did do the behavioral intervention and obviously it didn't do a whole lot and the diets are a joke.
    For side effects I think my brother had some weight gain but that may just be our family since it was about the same time in his life when our Dad put on weight.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 1:10 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My son is on Concerta and is doing great. I fought it for the first year. Last summer we put him on it. The only side effect is that he can't gain weight. He doesn't eat as much on it cause it suppresses his appetite.

sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• i here some people only use them when there at school the dose only last school time and the rest of the time at home there off them
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 5:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2011