We are thinking about buying an above ground pool for the summer.....

Have you ever owned one? If so, what kind of things would you advise or warn about to someone first purchasing one?

FingerPainter

Asked by FingerPainter at 5:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I LOVE mine. We usually buy an Intex, and it lasts about 2 seasons. We live on the Gulf Coast, though, so it's used a LONG time, and we don't take it down. The last 2 years we used the Intex Salt water Chlorinator. You add a few bags of pool salt and let it go. It turns the salt into Chlorine. SOOOOO gentle on your skin, hair, clothing. AND on the pool parts. This pool would have lasted another year, except that the filter went out, and we decided to get the biggest one on the market. We didn't buy a SINGLE chemical last year. I've been very very pleased.
    squeegeatc

Answer by squeegeatc at 5:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Buy a pump that is made for inground pools for it. They work way better and will keep your pool cleaner. Then when you take the pool down, keep the pump for when you either put your pool back up or get another one. Warning though, the pump will probably cost more than the pool.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• We have the Intex Ultra Frame pool and love love love it. I highly recommend a saltwater pump. I know people last year who struggled with algae all summer, we never had a problem. After adding the salt I never had to add another thing to the pool. No chemicals!!! Clean and clear water! This year we are trading our paper filter pump for a sand filter pump.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:30 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I've had them on and off throughout my life, I think they're great. When you get sick of it you can just get rid of it lol. If you have young children, make sure you make it so that they cant climb the ladder and get into the pool when you are not looking.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 5:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I bought one for the kids, Its been great! I love it! I havent had any troubles with mine what so ever. Do test & watch your test strips regularly. Dont let your Chlorine fall below the limits for very long, as its hard to regulate back. But I love ours.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 5:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I posted a very similiar question several weeks ago. The answers/responses were great. Told my husband and we agreed we would have would before summer. He's already picked one out and as soon as the weather gets a little better it will be ordered. We are all excited.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Get a ladder that you can either take out or fold up and lock.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 10:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I had one when I was younger.. no suggestions tho because I dont really know.
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 11:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• got a salt water system last year - love it!!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:14 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Never had one, but will come and try it out if you get it.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 11:13 AM on Apr. 16, 2011