NICU babies, how did you cope?

My son was taken to the NICU right after birth. I was 35 weeks and his lungs were not developed. It has been 4 days now and i am having trouble dealing with all of this. I am not able to be up there all the time because of hubbys work and the fact that we have 4 other kids. So those mammas who have had or do have babies in the NICU how do you deal with everything?

michelle.coppes

Asked by michelle.coppes at 5:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hugs  One minute, then one hour, then one day at a time.  There isn't much help to offer,but you have my support as a fellow Momma.  You and your family will be in my thoughts.  I truely hope your lil one recovers quickly!

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 5:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It was rough. My daughter was in for 28 days due to low birth weight at 33 weeks. They only allowed me to hold her once a day for an hour, which was really hard. We just had a routine of going in the evenings when DH got off of work.

What got me through it was constantly reminding myself that she was in the best place possible for her condition. Her health was fine and she never had to be put on oxygen. There were improvements all the time, like gaining weight and the tubes and wires slowly being removed. We took tons of pictures and videos. We spent the extra time getting the nursery ready for her, and I was able to rest and recover from my c-section.

[[Hugs]] mama. There's at least one support group for preemies you should look into if you want additional support.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• One day at a time my sons Dr told me that u can fall but we will catch b4 you hit rock bottom my son was born at 24 weeks and 1day your baby will be fine write me if u want to talk I know the nicu in side and out
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 5:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I didn't get to hold my baby for almost a month after he was born and after his first surgery I know how hard it is sweet heart I understand
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 5:30 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• i am so sorry mama!
    i only had one other child when my baby was in the nicu, and my dad took him every day so i could sit with my baby.
    i read a book that a mom had written about her experiences with the nicu, and reading that book helped me a ton! i don't know the name of it, but maybe a nicu nurse might be able to help you.
    a few nights i would go to the hospital after my son was down for the night, then i could get more skin time with my preemie.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I had a son that was in the RCNIC for 15 days (his whole life). I spent a lot of time there with him, but I also took care of me and thats a big part of it. Mommy needs to be healthy too because eventually baby will be coming home and mommy is going to be even more busy. If you need someone to talk to get ahold of me on FB or here. :)
    newfound09

Answer by newfound09 at 7:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It was very very hard. Just try to remember that right now that is where he needs to be, He is being taken care of. That is part of what helped me. One night I was up there to sit with my girls and the doctors were making their rounds, one of them told me that there is a good chance they could be discharged the next day, well I was soooo excited, when i got home i checked probably a dozen times to make sure everything was ready, When i called the next morning turned out that they wouldnt be coming home becaues one of them had a breathing episode and the other couldnt keep her temp up, all I could do was cry,, I was devistated. When my sister came over to drive me to see them she reminded me that I wouldnt have known what to do if it happened when they were home, so as hard as it is just remember your ds is where he needs to be, for now. Just hang in there, things will get better! Keeping your family in my prayers.
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 8:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It is really really hard. I had an infection in my placenta which caused my son to have to be in there for 11 days and I know that is not a lot compared to some others but it was to long for me. I didn't even get to see him till 2 days after he was born and didn't get to hold or touch him for a week after he was born. The best thing is to take it on hour at a time.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 10:27 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• you just have to take it day by day. it sucks because you can't spend every day all day there by their side but in a way its a good thing because if we did that we would worry ourselves to death about what is going on and what the nurses are doing believe me i know how you feel i was 25 weeks when i had my son. he had to stay in the NICU for 3 very long months. it was one of the hardest times in my life but i made it through because i knew my son was being taken care of by great people. you just have to try to keep in mind when your not with son that he is in good hands. i hope everything goes well for you and your family
    kristendc33

Answer by kristendc33 at 12:08 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I know what you are going through. My son was born at 27 weeks weighing 2 lbs 7 ozs and stayed in the NICU 3 months due to placental abruption where the umbilical cord was attached... it was a long 3 months but I was there all day every day until late at night to go home and do it all over again. Very draining and exhausting and I was always worried.. but today he is almost 6 years old and the funniest smartest little miracle with absolute no problems. Hang in there!
    JackReesesmommy

Answer by JackReesesmommy at 7:44 PM on Apr. 17, 2011