Has anyones teen been diagnosed with sever depression?

My 18 year old son was today. The doctor wants him on medication as soon as possible. I have no idea why he would be depressed, the doctor can't tell me because of the confidentiality agreement. My sons doctor just says that there is alot going on in his life that's causing him to be depressed. My son says that he just thinks that there is something wrong with him, so I don't know if it is life related or bio chemical.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• its probally a little of both, us as parents do not understand all that a teenager goes through these days, its alot different from when we were teens, my son is 16 and he is depressed too.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It could be both. I have depression, but not severe. I take Zoloft. Mine is a combo problem. at least, in my opinion, it HAS to be. My life is the best its ever been right now. I have so few real problems that I can now focus on myself and I've realized that I have no idea what my own interests are. I always go with the flow and never really learned to start the flow, which makes me depressed. I'm working on it though. Good luck to you and your son!
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• get a second opinion...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 7:36 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• hugs

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:48 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Depression is more common, more so for our kids, especially if there's been changes in their world. I stayed in a marriage much to long, therefore my son bared the brunt for wanting to fix our marriage.  The wombs are so deep the kid isn't willing to open that pandora box.    What I realize now is though my child appeared mentally capable it wasn't true.  I was depressed, being an enabler and co-dependent didn't allow for me to see how it would eventually effect my kid.  That's not to say I am at fault or will carry anymore guilt bags, it hurts, and the fact I can't fix my son is something I carry, but I can't go back, it's done.   Until he is willing (my son) to grieve, and face the hurt, he will continue to hurt. So I pray and Love him, but refuse to be a door mat. csjoy1 I'll say a prayer for you both.
    csjoy1

Answer by csjoy1 at 12:09 PM on May. 3, 2011