Birth Control: Essure?

I was looking at permanent birth control options and Essure is rather new and surgery free. Has anybody had it done? If so could you please share your experience?

CrazyMommy87

Asked by CrazyMommy87 at 5:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Health

• I have a girlfriend who has it and she loves it. I'm getting based on her recommendation and my own research.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It sounds wonderful but I'm wondering why it's not really talked about?
    CrazyMommy87

Comment by CrazyMommy87 (original poster) at 5:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Because as my dr told me its so new there are no studies of effective based a nationwide long term usage so until data comes in about how effective is over a broad spectrum you won't. I was going to do it but since I had a fallopian tube removed due to an ectopic pregnancy he said fda didnt recommend so I had to do it the old fashioned way LOL
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 6:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• nope i 'm on the minipill
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:02 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It isn't heard of really because not many doctors are trained in it. You have to find one who is. It has been around for over a decade. There are actually some ladies on here that were in the clinical trials and have had it for over a decade. I had it and love it. No regrets.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I had it about 3 years ago... love it!! My OB did it in the office... I had some cramping, but I went home and took a nap and woke up about 2 hours later like nothing happened. Other that that it was uneventful... Love it!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:27 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It is not surgery free. It's new enough that they don't know the long-term possibilities/side effects. Think about it, it's a metal spring getting screwed into your fallopian tube - who's to say, that a few years down the road, your body isn't going to have a major rejection and do God-knows-what to you? Some women are getting it done, just to find out that their bodies can't handle it - they're allergic to the material in the spring, or they just have a bad reaction - I read a journal or post some time back about a woman, a cafemommer, who had it done, and then had to have surgery to remove it all because her body rejected it so soon. Too many risks with it being too new - not a good idea! It's invasive to boot, moreso than my tubal (which I had done over 4 years ago and am very happy with!) IMO!
    Anonymous

• i think that you should ask your doctor if they would use it for birth control if they had an option, i have not really heard of it, but you have to pay attention to the side affects in everything these day
    Chunky_Dynamic

Answer by Chunky_Dynamic at 12:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2011