Child Leashes/Backpacks or NOT

I am a mommy of a two year old little boy who refuses to stay with his father and I went out. We try everything from carrying him, putting him in the cart, his stroller but he wont stay in them. When he walks with us, he runs of a minute later causing my husband to go and chase him. I am not a parent who cares too much about what people think about my parenting skils but i do however wonder what everyone's thoughts are about getting one of the backpacks with the leash on them. I feel it sets boundaries for him, and it provides him with independence but allowing myself and my husband to make sure he is safe. I am for it, my husband however is against it. Thoughts anyone?

Xtina0828

Asked by Xtina0828 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i haves a boy like that too! i am also considering a leash! imo, people that find them appalling have never had kids like ours!!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• you need it. i see nothing wrong with keeping your child 'leashed' to you or another responsible adult, since he's prone to wander and run off.
    i don't see why anyone would bash you anywhere for it. what's the difference in a leash/tether and a safety seat in a vehicle? nothing..other than the car seat is a legal-have to.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• They're fabulous! I'd rather have my LO look like he/she is wearing a leash than lost or in danger.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 5:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I have one, I rarely use it though and obviously I see nothing wrong with them as long as they aren't abused or people aren't tying their kids to poles outside shopping centers. When i was a kid my mom had one that was like a plastic slinky that went over my wrist and I tell you had I not had it I would have gotten lost as a child a lot..I tended to roam away from her LOL
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• i think the leash is REDICULOUSE if your child doesnt stay in the stroller them punish him... this is my personal opinion so dont be offended but i would honestly NEVER put that on my child...
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I know there are parents out there that find them to be awful and wrong. I guess my point is, is im trying to instill independence i my child by setting boundaries though. I wouldn't be one of those parents who just leash their kids up and not pay attention to them. I can also understand people thinking its just to convenience myself. Honestly that is part of it, i dont feel that it should take me 3 hours to do grocery shopping.
    Xtina0828

Comment by Xtina0828 (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I know my friend has one for her son I should get one for my son but I won't b/c his not a dog Haha that's just how I feel my son is just like ur son trust me I understand I just don't like them for me
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 5:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I had gotten one for my youngest when he was about that age. I only used it in areas where I was concerned for his safety. he is now 4 and loves his monkey backpack still. We took our boys to a hockey game and put it on him last dec. We didn't have to worry about him getting seperated from us in the crowds.
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 5:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It works great for us. My son used to hate the leash but now doesn't mind it. he realizes he doesn't have to hold our hand to walk when we use it.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• A big problem that I see with it is that is not correcting the behavior of him not listening to you and staying next to you.  I think you are better off getting him to do those things now and know that is what is expected of him then trying to deal with the same issue a couple of years from now.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 6:02 PM on Apr. 14, 2011