Should i or shouldnt i

My seven year old son was diagnosed with ADHD as well as some depression like thing about 2 years ago. He was seeing a counselor at home and at school. Since november or december he hasn't seen anyone, due at first to me stopping it before the baby came and then because his last couselor doesn't have enough space to see him. Met with his teachers today and they suggested meds. They also mentioned that he had been talking about harming himself, which was an issue in the past. They mentioned that his lack of a father figure could also be an issue. I'm not for it nor totally against meds. My worries are that he won't be himself and that he will be dependent upon them forever. I need help figuring out if he should or shouldn't. I spoke to my husband and my sons biological father. Mu husband could care less. His dad I'm not sure about yet. I don't know what to do. I need serious opinions.

To clarify his teachers were saying how meds could help him.  I wasn't seeking that info from them, but I don't see anything wrong with them giving me ideas or advice, whether I take it or  not is up to me.  In my opinion parents of children that take meds is more what I'm looking for because they deal with it everyday.

AnitaB27

Asked by AnitaB27 at 5:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• First of all a teacher suggesting medication is over stepping her boundaries. It is not appropriate. Secondly, only a medical professional can tell you whether medication is appropriate for your son's needs. Find a new counselor and stick with it.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 5:42 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• He needs back with a counselor, and I would take him back out ever. Since this is ongoing. Ask a psychologist if he needs meds, not, his teacher.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Teachers making suggestions on medical situations or drugs is illegal and she could and should lose her job for it. My son was misdiagnosed with ADHD as a younger boy and as it turned out it was early onset Bipolar disorder instead and the medication messed him up even more. I am against meds until the kids are old enough to either decide on their own, or all other options have been exhausted.

Answer by gemgem at 5:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Your in a tough place, I'm not for Meds on most occasions unless it will a huge benefit for the child if natural or alternative ways arent your thing or not working. I think that finding a new counselor is best if you feel like it is helping your child. Also I would talk to a professional and get even second and third opinions on your Childs need for Meds or his diagnoses completely. Some doctors are too easy to give out prescriptions and I feel like they can be lazy. You have to do your homework on doctors and find a few good opinions. I really hope that your able to find good dr.s because it can be counteractive if it's not the right move. My cousin took Meds for the same thing and they turned him into a zombie and depressed very very bad. My aunt stop the Meds and worked with him along with a counselor and he grew out of it. My nephew also is ADHD and he hasn't grown out of it but my sister also decided not to do Meds. GL!!
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 6:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• While some say it's crossing the line for the teachers to recommend meds, you haven't said if the meds are for depression or the ADHD. I think the teachers care about your child. I can tell you from my own experience that if you cannot control the ADHD otherwise, you may be doing your child a disservice by not exploring medication. He need not be on them forever, but if he is, then he is. Diabetics have to be on medication and some other conditions as well. Meds have quieted the minds of ADHD kids and allowed them to concentrate. There are non-stimulants out there now. RE: depression. If you don't have your child in therapy with a child psychiatrist get there now. If your child is threatening to harm himself, believe him. Medication for depression can help to bridge the gap between depression and wellness as he works out his issues with a qualified therapist.
    HYPT

Answer by HYPT at 6:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I think it wouldn't hurt to at least try the meds. If you don't like them you can always just stop giving them to him.

My children aren't on meds nor have ADHD but i live with my parents and 12 yr old brother who has ADHD. He takes a pill every morning before he goes to school. The benefits definitely outweigh the negatives. When he's on them he's calm, sweet, and every bit in control of himself. When he's not on them he's completely out of control, vulgar, and violent.

Like I said, I don't think it would hurt to at least try them. I know they help my brother a lot!
    liz.1986

Answer by liz.1986 at 11:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• As a prior poster has stated...a teacher is overstepping her boundaries when suggesting medication...and it is actually legally wrong.It is in the WHOS IDEA IS IT ACT manual for handicapped children.
    I would begin with his pediatrician. TEll him/her of your concerns. They will then give you some forms for teachers and yourself to fill out..its a questionaire.The forms will be evaulateed by the pediatrician and then a diagnoses will be made and you go from there.
    You can choose meds if you feel it is the right thing for you and your child. If not, there are alternate paths to choose.
    I wish you all the best.
    p.s. my son was that way when he was your sons age too...with the depression...and saying he wanted to hurt himself.
    I have a journal I have been keeping on my sons adhd, you are welcome to read it if it will help you.
    Good Luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:39 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Talk to your ped and son's counsler and do a lot of research. Good luck.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 12:10 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would try the meds.
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 12:45 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• thank you everyone for your help. he has gotten back to counseling. im going to see how that goes for a couple weeks as far as his behavior goes. im getting him reevaluated to make sure of his diagnosis, since it has been a couple years. then i will go from there
    AnitaB27

Comment by AnitaB27 (original poster) at 4:16 PM on May. 11, 2011