Feeding a 1 yr old who has reflux issues

I need help on feeding my son who just turned a year old. He refused to eat baby food and gags on just about anything that isn't mushy. So I feel like he eats the same thing every day. What can I give him that won't gag him or how can I feed him without having issues?

He currently eats Cheerios, Toast, Waffles, Pancakes, Grilled Cheese, Mash Potatoes, cereal bars broken up, string cheese, pizza, yogurt, crackers.

He gags on small pieces of chicken, macaroni and cheese, any other noodles and just about anything else I try to feed him....I am at a lost and don't want another picky eater!

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 5:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your doing good talk to ur sons Dr and see if you can get a feeding person to work with your son my had one b/c he gag on like everything but after them working with him he cam eat anything
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 5:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• yeah a nutritionist might be able to help, you can try fruit smoothies? pediasure? soups? sorry i'm not more helpful
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• that is a ton of dairy. have you tried any brown rice? beans?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• If he's having such significant issues with textures that he's refusing/gagging on foods and beginning to self-limit his diet, then you may want to have a feeding evaluation done & begin feeding therapy, either with a home program or at a center/office. In feeding therapy, your child will learn how accept a variety of foods willingly.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• The things he gags on you can start out by throwing them into the blender. Get them all mushy like mashed potatoes to let him get used to the new flavors and textures. You should also know that it can sometimes take several tries for a toddler or baby to accept a new food, so dont give up on anything. Just try it again the next day or whenever you have it again. Dont fall into the trap of making him something special just because he doesnt seem interested in what you are serving. This will set the stage for a picky eater if you start catering to his whims now.
    becca2715

Answer by becca2715 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2011