How Do You Handle It?

I just lost it on my son. He's 6 and I swear, for the first time in my life, I wanted to punch him in the face. It's over little stuff...like we were practicing spelling words and I was trying to get him to spell code and he was putting random letters in it.
I get so stressed out dealing with the kids...IDK what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sometimes just stepping outside for fresh air away from the children helps me.
    CrazyMommy87

Answer by CrazyMommy87 at 6:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I usually start losing it or getting close to it by Thursday night. My 6 yr old spends every Friday night with grandma. I believe the arrangement is a life saver lol.

Answer by gemgem at 6:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Can Dad help? If he doesn't want to practice his work correctly then let him learn what "natural consequences" are and that would be if he doesnt pass his spelling test at school (just assuming here) then he gets to deal with his teacher. Perhaps extra words, shorter recess...maybe talk to his teacher before hand so she understands whats going on. Kids are smart & love to frusterate their parents & will continue to do so if they feel like they've won. Good luck!
    LilBritches1

Answer by LilBritches1 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• you have to start with a deep breath and take a time out... kids need time they stress just as much as we do and when they see us stress they stress... it's just they way it is... so take a break and come back to it and start fresh again... it will get better.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 8:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Whenever you get that overwhelmed, get away for a second. If you have to say, you have to go the bathroom & sit in there long enough to calm down. I do that sometimes. I think my son thinks I have a bm like more than 3 times a day, LOL He might just be adding random letters in there because he didn't know how to spell that word or he was sitting there too long. I was told people learn better in 3's. Also don't practice for more than 15 to 20 mins at a time with at least an hour break in between. When I was learning how to spell, I would write my spelling words 3 times each or 6 times, but in groups of 3s. I did that every single day when I had spelling words. Count to 10j when you start to become impatient & take deep breaths. Whenever I become impatient, I always think about how he's going to think fo me when he's older. What kind of memories he's going to have of me. ya know ? That tends to help sometimes too. Good Luck!
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Walk away. Take a breather. Come back after an hour or so and try again. If you are stressed out and on edge, he isn't going to be able to concentrate on learning.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Sounds like you're stressed out a bit. Remember how you'd want to be treated as a kid. Clear your mind, take a break, take a walk, listen to some music. Spend shorter amounts of time doing study activities. Break it up...work on study stuff, then have a tickle break..Interchange some fun in there as always studying gets BORING!
    Droyal14u

Answer by Droyal14u at 11:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2011