Is being hungry good or bad when dieting?

I'm just trying to eat less food, i'm going to the gym 3 times a week and being more active. I know i was eating way too much before. Is the hunger feeling just because i'm eating less and my stomach is used to producing acid to digest what i used to eat? hmm?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 6:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I think hunger is very important when dieting. If we've treated our bodies right (most of us haven't - myself included) then we should be able to use hunger as a gauge of when to eat and when to stop. If we eat when we START feeling hungry and stop when we no longer feel hungry (notice I didn't say full) then we listen to our body's cue of what and when it needs nutrition. That said, I have found, when I'm changing my habits from eating more to less, then yes, I tend to feel hungry more. I think it's normal and it usually passes after a few days. As long as you know you're eating enough, your body is adjusting. Studies show that volume of food rather than amt of calories help u feel more satisfied so choose foods that you can have more of without going over your calories (like salads, soups etc)
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 6:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• diets by definition arent good for you. healthy eating and exercise are the way to go.
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 7:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• If you feel hungry all the time, then you won't be able to maintain whatever it is you're doing. Are you super hungry all the time? Do you feel like you're starving by the time you eat? Or are you simply hungry by the time it's time to eat? How often are you eating? It's okay to be hungry by the time you eat. But don't let yourself get ravenously hungry, to where you binge on food. I'm eating clean, and one o the principles is eating 3 meals and 2-3 snacks throughout the day, so that you're eating every 2 1/2-3 hours. Also, with the food, I'm satisfied with how much I've eaten. I'm not left hungry at the end of a meal. There's a clean eating group on here that has some good resources, and cleaneatingmag.com is good. I've lost 58 lbs eating this way and exercising so far.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It depends.....if your stomach wasn't used to actual portion sizes prior to dieting, then yeah, you are going to feel hungry all the time for a while. Most importantly, you should be keeping track of how many calories you're eating per day. If it's a healthy, manageable amount (say, 1500 per day) and you're feeling hungry....maybe give your body a week or two to adjust. Drink tons of water in the mean time whenever you feel the urge.
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 1:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Your body is sending you a message. Unfortunately your brain is interpreting the message as hunger. It may not be. You might be thirsty, or tired, or stressed. When you get this feeling again have a drink of water and then a few deep breaths. It is the confused message that has caused you to overeat in the past and gain weight. It will take about three months to retrain your brain to interpret the signal correctly and send you the right message. Try keeping a little diary of when this is happening to you and how you are dealing with it. Try changing your diet a little to include low GI foods instead of high GI foods. This will also help.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 7:21 PM on Apr. 17, 2011