Does this method work?

My son is 3 years old. I am wanting to get him potty trained so I can send him to preschool instead of daycare. Buuuut, the problem is my son screams bloody murder when we try to get him to go potty on the potty. So I am going to try the just underwear thing. Pullups aren't working and neither is anything else we have tried. I have carpet cleaner on hand and am going to try it this weekend.

Has it worked for anyone else? Any tips or tricks to help?

mrsjksimmons

Asked by mrsjksimmons at 6:27 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• never underestimate the power of bribery... Just sayin' :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I have bribed him with Matchbox cars, stickers, money for his doggy bank. You name it. I'm ready to go drastic.
    mrsjksimmons

Comment by mrsjksimmons (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Yup, I agree with But---Mommie (above) Bribery! I bribed my 1st born with candy corn (one of his faves) I put it up high in a glass jar so he could see it but not reach it. He was only allowed to have it when told me 'before' he went ...once he realized he was going in his pants, it was easy to get him on the potty. He got two treats for the potty. Later as he got older he confessed that he was afraid of the potty because it ate the poopy and he was afraid it was going to eat him. Kids imaginations.... what we perceive is different than what they perceive...so keep than in mind. Try to figure out what hes thinking since he is screaming and its upsetting to him. After my son told me that, I understood and never had any problems potty training with my other 3 children. Good Luck.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 6:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I did have improvement the other day because he didn't scream but I'm not sure if it was a fluke. He just says he wants to wear a diaper. It doesn't make sense.
    mrsjksimmons

Comment by mrsjksimmons (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I had my oldest go bottomless, she'd just pee in the underwear instead of the diaper....in other words, in the underwear and all over whatever she was wearing., we also gave her gummy bears each time she peed in the potty it was 1 and poop was 5. WORKED LIKE A CHARM!! I had to keep reminding her to go too.
    Tallchic06

Answer by Tallchic06 at 7:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• when our son was two, HE decided he was going to go on the potty. i let him go naked all summer basically and then put on underware and he's just done it. I still put a pull-up on him at night, but during the night he's usually good.
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 8:12 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I never bought pull-ups once.. my son and daughters were in underwear right away... Underwear is completely different then a diaper and a pull up is sooo similar. I guess I cant say for sure because I am not a 2 year old potty training (lol) but I feel like a kid may feel with a pull up they are wearing a diaper.... Using underwear is probably a good idea.. also we had, what my son called "pee-pee candy" just small things, mms, tootsie roll etc.. and everytime my son used the potty, on his own, he got one.. We actually did the same thing with my DH.. when he "used the potty" he got to pick a candy too. Helped my son see that he should use the potty! good luck
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 9:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• VBM, I think you are right about the diaper thing because he calls them his "Woody diapers" (they are toy story themed). I am doing the undies thing starting this afternoon and going until Sunday night. (I have to take a test this morning so it starts this afternoon.) Hopefully in 2.5 days I can get him started.
    mrsjksimmons

Comment by mrsjksimmons (original poster) at 9:54 AM on Apr. 15, 2011