Melatonin.

Do you use it for your child who legitimately can't sleep? I am thinking about it for my 3 1/2 year old. She doesn't nap and can't seem to sleep at night. She is awake and playing in the dark until 11 or later at night. Then she is up at 8. She is cranky all the time because she is tired! She gets no caffeine ever and no sugar after about 2 pm (sometimes she has a little at snack) My friend suggested I use it as a tool for a month and the take her off. Thoughts please?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I give it to my 4 year old every night. Her ped. told me to give her 500 MICRO-grams every night for 3 months and then take her off of it. Its amazing. I love it. and i did A LOT of research before i gave it to her.

Anonymous

• Its natural so why not give it a shot. Do your research and ask her doctor. Good luck.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 6:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I just started our daughter on this a couple weeks ago. Her pediatrician gave us the okay! It was the most amazing thing ever! It is completely safe, since it is a natural thing that occurs in ourselves! She sleeps so peacefully, without any struggle!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 7:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Three seems a little young to me personally. I would say ask her doctor and if he/she gives you the ok then give it a try! :)
    liz.1986

Answer by liz.1986 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• A ped recommended it with our second son who had really bad sleeping problems. Knowing how little training docs revived in natural medicine I went to our Naturepath. He said NEVER give a child melatonin. He recommended a tincture of Valerian root. You can pick some up at a health food store.
    And the Valerian root worked. We were to give him a dose before bed, and each time he woke up. It took a bit but it did work.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:24 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• You need to understand what melatonin is. It is a hormone that humans produce in the dark, to help us sleep. I am not comfortable with chemically recreated hormones, especially for a child.

Try giving her chamomile tea before bed

Answer by rkoloms at 9:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• TO SLEEP 4 HOURS OF CONTINUES RUNNING GAMES AND GET THEM TO SLEEP?
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 10:17 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Out Pedi told us to give our daughter benadryl to help her sleep without her paciffier. It worked and broke her of the paciffer. BUT I would still call the doctor to ask about the correct dose.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2011