Ultra sound tech?

Are the online or tech schools real? The community college takes 3 years but they have programs for as quick as 9 months. But I don't want to waste my time and money.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would love to know this as well! I love the idea of becoming an ultrasound tech once my boys are in school.
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 7:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Hearing that it only takes 9 months sends up a red flag if it is compared to a three year program. You might also check sites like indeed.com, put ultrasound tech in the search box, and read some of the ads for those jobs. That should give you a lot of info on what experience is expected. You could also call a few places that do ultrasounds and ask if they hire people with online certificates. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I have heard that alot of people that take the online courses dont get hired as often as if you were to be in a an actual classroom. I had also considered being an u.sound tech but changed my mind .I spoke to the person in charge of hiring ultrasound techs at a place I went to and he said they prefer ppl that have had the hands on experience in the classroom. I agree with what elizabr said too, call some places and see what they say, u could be surprised at what u find out, good luck.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 8:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Most of the time, your best bet is to go to a school like a community college. So many online only schools are for-profit, cost much more than a community college, and they do not have the same reputation. Usually classes at these schools do not transfer or are not accepted by more traditional schools. This could be critical should you decide later to upgrade your degree. You also run more risk of the for-profit closing down suddenly thereby leaving you with a partial degree and a load of student debt.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2011