Anyone get an abnormal pku?

found out today my 2 week old got an abnormal pku they want to retset and go from there but anyone else have that happen and it just b a fluke? im so on edge.

Kittty_Katt

Asked by Kittty_Katt at 7:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't remember what the pku is, but I can say, do not freak out. There are So Many tests these days, but still so much remains unknown. Example: stick test said I was pregnant, went to dr who said there was a "mass" but I was Not pregnant - but that we could wait and see if hormone blood tests said otherwise. Took the blood test - they indicated I was not pregnant. But, rather than just DnC it out, we waited. Low and behold - a few weeks later, a heartbeat!!! Then they said the blood tests indicated genetic abnormality - so we had an amnio- it too said there were some markers for problems. But we persisted... then they said measurements indicated baby not growing right, could be very small or deformed... not enough fluid --- we did listen to the warning to deliver early due to very low fluid and no baby growth - but NOW, she is FINE and PERFECT, and 11 yrs old!! Have hope, take heart! God Bless.
    Jmomma532

Answer by Jmomma532 at 4:30 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• a bit of background on pku :

PKU (Phenylketonuria)

PKU (phenylketonuria) is an inherited disorder of body chemistry that, if untreated, causes mental retardation. Fortunately, through routine newborn screening, almost all affected newborns are diagnosed and treated early, allowing them to grow up with normal intelligence.
    At least 1 baby in 25,000 is born with PKU in the United States (1). The disorder occurs in all ethnic groups, although it is more common in individuals of Northern European and Native American ancestry than in those of African-American, Hispanic and Asian ancestry.

What is PKU?
    Individuals with PKU cannot process a part of protein called phenylalanine, which is present in most foods. Because of a genetic abnormality, affected individuals lack or have very low levels of an enzyme (phenylalanine hydroxylase or PAH) that converts phenylalanine to other substances the body needs. Without treatment, phenylalan
    Kittty_Katt

Comment by Kittty_Katt (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Apr. 17, 2011