How is it being a military wife?

Just want to know what i should expect when we get married before boot camp. and yes we have a 9month old son

Ninisopretty120

Asked by Ninisopretty120 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• I was in the Army before my husband joined. I deployed to Iraq while he stayed behind with our children, one who I just had 3 months prior. The up side for us is defending our Country (something alot of people disagree with) traveling, meeting new people, a guaranteed check and health care. Some down sides are for one Deployments, 24hr gurad duty, 1 week and/or up to 8 weeks of field training, eating dinner alone many nites depending on the Unit and the frustratio of work being brought home. Know that things will change a little but it's nothing against you. The thing about being an Army wife is staying strong when you know he goes through ALOT during his day. An Army wife is in the silent ranks, we motivate our men, challenge them, keep them on their toes, remind them that we will always be here for them when things get rough. Everyone's experience is different, just don't let the Army frusterate you, Good Luck and God Bless
    rizeabove

Answer by rizeabove at 7:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I have been an Army wife for 3 years. We have a 19 month old son. I have good days and bad days. I have met a lot of people and become good friends with a few people. I am by myself a LOT but my husband is Infantry, so even when he isnt deployed, he's training. I like it because I have plenty of opportunities to be independent and still support my husband in his career. I dont like that the Army comes first, but thats what happens. Its not so bad if youre independent and can handle separation though. Great communication and trust is a big part of a successful military relationship.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 7:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• i think i will do okay with the separation if i keep busy like continuing with college. i hope he scors high enough so he can go to the navy
    Ninisopretty120

Comment by Ninisopretty120 (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• my husband had a near perfect asvab score. goofball chose to join the infantry! haha.

Staying busy is a big help! I tend to learn a new hobby each deployment! :)
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 7:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• lol wow... and thank u
    Ninisopretty120

Comment by Ninisopretty120 (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• yeah thats wat im doing now trying to support him because i honestly dont want to go and then may have 2 fight...guess u can say im scard and especially since we hv a son together. dont want anything to happen to his dad
    Ninisopretty120

Comment by Ninisopretty120 (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I married my husband when he was already serving in the Navy. A year later I got pregnant, and then had our son. It was so much harder before my son was born - having my husband deployed all the time. It was just lonely not knowing anybody and being so far from family. Once my son was born however, I could just spend all my time on him which was great! I don't know how the other moms deal with deployments and their older children (explaining to them why their dad is gone etc), thankfully my husband got stationed to shore duty last August and will be retiring off of shore duty in a couple years.
    It is hard work, but just make sure your digital camera is charged so you can take loads of pictures to keep him updated on daily life at home. Congratulations on the marriage!!
    enohp04

Answer by enohp04 at 7:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2011