Can I help my baby learn to walk??

My son is almost 15 months old and we work with him every day and enourage him to walk. He can do it by himself (only a few steps) but he has only done this a couple of times and we can't get him to do it again! It's almost like he didn't even notice he did it. We go back and forth between me and his dad but he gets mad and just falls to the floor cuz he'd rather be on all fours. I am starting to get anxious. I have heard some babies don't walk until 18 months but I feel like hes so comfortable with crawling that he won't ever feel the need to walk. Any way I can encourage him even more?? Or should I just keep waiting it out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Bring it up to the doctor. 18 months is a little late.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Wait it out. Try maybe once or twice a week but you do not want him to get super frustrated. There is a wide range of what normal is for kids to walk and you know he will get there from what you have experienced so far. Be patient - it will happen!! And don't forget .......then you have to put your running shoes on!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• They have things at target that will help your baby walk. They are like those Johnny jump ups, but you hold onto the end, I could find it on the site, but I just saw it on there...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 8:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I had to wait 2 1/2 yrs for my 2nd son to walk...but he also was born with Down Syndrome so there was a reason he was late at walking. We used a balance beam that is placed on the floor..not very high...and used that to help with balance. We also had a little car that he could use to help with balance. I dont think you have much to worry about, my niece did not walk until she was 16 months. Even 18 months is still in the "normal" range developmentally.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My daughter and son both learned to walk with the help of a pushable rolling toy. They sell them at wal mart and target and you can usually find some for pretty cheap on craigs list or at garage sales.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Every child is different and each one develops in different ways and times. Trying to push the issue if its frusterating him can backfire. If he likes to cruise (walk holding onto couch, chairs ect.) then try putting a really cool toy just out of reach on something that will require he take a step to get to. Say from couch to chair. Start small. If hes not interested in that, try push toys, ride on toys ect. Just be careful with those, as they can cause nasty falls.
    becca2715

Answer by becca2715 at 9:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• my daughter was always crawling she was probably 13months when she started to fully walk, walking toys are great also. but if your son watches you and your husband walking he will surly pick it up. but good luck && he will walk soon:)
    EstrelitaMami

Answer by EstrelitaMami at 10:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• The more you push him, the longer he'll take. My son didn't walk til he was 17 months old - he had sisters to carry him, Mom and grandparents trying to get him to walk, he had too much pressure. Once we laid off, let him do his own thing, he walked and hasn't quit running!
    Anonymous

• He will do it in his own time-- then you will wonder why you ever pushed it because he will never stop.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 1:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2011