Anyone know how I can thaw ground beef quickly - ASAP

I put the ground beef in the fridge last night and it's still not thawed and I was planning on using it for hamburgers in less than half an hour. DH didn't have his phone on and just drove right past the store, I already went to 2 different grocery stores and don't want to go back. Does anyone know how to thaw it quickly?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Microwave

Answer by louise2 at 8:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Won't it make it yucky?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I dislike using the microwave because it seems to start too cook the food. I put the food in a plastic bag and then into a bowl of hot water. If the food is still frozen after 10 minutes, I change the water.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Separate what has thawed and do you have a microwave? Most have a low power for defrost. Put the frozen meat in for a minute on defrost. Scrap off the part that defrosts and then do it over and over until it all is done. Other than that you can put it in a water tight plastic bag and let it sit in a sink with tepid water.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I second what layh41407 says. i just did this yesterday. It thawed in an hour

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Run it under warm water or use the microwave. I made hamburgers last night that were still a bit frozen, kinda thawed while I was mixing everything together.
    sunrisekn

Answer by sunrisekn at 8:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• put it in the microwave for one minute, let it sit for another minute in there & then check it. If it's not thawed when you check it, add another 30 seconds & keep doing that until you think it's thawed enough. It won't make it yucky, i do it all the time.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I was told never hot water but cold.. i thought it was odd but tried and it worked great been doing it ever since.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 8:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• NEVER USE HOT OR WARM WATER TO THAW MEAT,EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The heat will cause bacteria to grow on the meat. Fill a sink with COLD water, put meat in a plastic zip loc bag, immerse in the COLD water. You can also fill the sink partially with water and let the COLD water run slowly on the frozen meat. I have taken food safety courses and they could not stress enough to NOT use warm or hot water.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• If you're going to cook it, won't that kill the bacteria anyway?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2011