How much do u let ur Kids watch TV for?

My 3 year old used to hate watching TV when he was like 1 and 2. Then around 2 and half years old he started liking it. My friends have a son who watched it all the time and was addicted to it, and now my son is starting to get addicted to it. HE loves to play outside and would prefer to be outside, but the min we come in, he runs turns the TV on and would watch it all day, he has watched it all day on really cold days. He even has playdates every day with our neighbor boy and plays with him, but he just stops in the mist and wants it back on.
He watches it from the time he wakes up, to the time he goes to bed with breaks when we go visit daddy at work, or when we go outside on nice days, or for supper.
I have done craft time to, but he still just wants to watch the TV more than do the crafts.

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 8:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• What you describe is too much IMO. Limit it to educational stuff (not cartoons). The activities and going outside are so much more important.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• my son is the same way but he loves to be outside too... so i really on have it on for about 3 hours through the day on and off... he would rather play with his toys, take a bath, and go outside with the dogs and run around or even for a trail walk by my house...
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 8:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I let my kids watch as much as they want because they are not big on tv. They watch MAYBE an hour a day but more like an hour every three days.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:27 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Not too much. I don't really count at this point. My 4 year old doesn't get much bless his heart. He would if he could. We keep our television in the basement office so it is rare to go down there. Early Sat. mornings when he wakes up with his dad they watch a few cartoons. Beyond that he may watch ten or fifteen minutes every other day of a DVD in the morning at the breakfast table before school on a portable DVD player meant for the car. Some weeks zero television depending on what is going on. If sick...well a heck of a lot more. The portable DVD player stays by the bed. We usually watch things like Cats and other musical preformances. Something artsy generally for the heck of it. He doesn't know any different. I did notice he has no patience for commercials one day and got upset we couldn't fast forward the television. Which is great - I hate advetising marketing to kids.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2011