3.5 year old boy- wet at night?

Our son has been potty trained since he was about two. He goes in the potty during the day. the problem is at night. I tell him no drinks before bed and to go pee before sleep--- but it doesn't seem to help. What can I do?! I'm tired of buying expensive pull-ups!

john2007

Asked by john2007 at 8:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The normal range for this is all over the place. Our kids were 6-7 before they were dry all night. I have known kids to go to 10 and older. All normal. It will happen when his body matures in time.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Some kids need a few years for their bladders to mature.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My son just turned 5 March 17th and he recently stopped wetting the bed. Probably about 6 months ago. We started to stop all drinks at 600pm, and making him go to the bathroom 3 times before bed and then for about a month, a couple nights a week, I would wake up and get him up to potty. I really didn't want to wake myself up, but I knew I had to get him trained. Pull-Ups are very expensive!
    sunrisekn

Answer by sunrisekn at 8:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My son is 5 and still wets at night. My 4 year old does not, and my 2 year old is dry half the time. My 5 year old sleeps like a ROCK for 10 to 12 hours at night. Nothing wakes him up. I figure it is going to be a LONG time before he stays dry. Right now he fits in the largest pull up, but I don't know what he will do as he gets older.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• He doesn't have the bladder strength to 'hold it' all night at that age. Instead of pullups go back to diapers and use one each night - they are cheaper anyway! He won't be able to stay dry until probably 5 like most kids.
    bemomkec

Answer by bemomkec at 9:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My one son was dry at night before he was fully toliet trained during the day (started being dry at night at 2 1/2) . Another one of my son's suffered from nocturnal enuresis until he was 14.  He was seen by doctors and specialist and the only thing that was wrong was his brain just wasn't mature yet. 

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Sometimes it just takes time. My son is about to turn 4 a still wets at night. It is hard, and I get frustrated sometimes but eventually he will stop. It takes time for their bladders to mature and just like anything else, every kid is different and does things at different times. Good luck!!!!
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 8:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Don't Rush It OR Make Him Feel Bad . He Will Eventually Grow Out Of It .
    Maria232011

Answer by Maria232011 at 8:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• There is nothing you can do. His body has to mature. Keep buying the pull ups.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• First understand that its out of his control, my son is 8 and still has the occassionally mishap even with us doing the same things you are doing..Our Dr advised us as the ladies prior to me have informed you, its all about the strength of his bladder (check with you Dr they should be able to give you information they will make you understand better). What I have done is started a chart of "Dry nights" this gives him encouragement when he sees that he has gone days without wetting the bed..I never yell, or punish him, because trust me he already feels bad enough that this is happening to him...To make things easy on alll of us I did put a bed cover on his bed as to not damage the mattress..Trust it will be ok, love an hug your baby...
    sam223

Answer by sam223 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2011