Dog help please...

I adopted an English Bulldog (Harley) back in January I was told he was 3 years old (but I think they lied he has way too much gray to be just 3). I was also told he was great with kids and other dogs. He is terrific with my kids. I got an English bulldog puppy (Stainz) in February and introduced them without a hitch. Harley has visited my uncles house numerous times (he has 5 dogs all under 10 pounds). We recently got a (female) Shih Tzu (Heidi) that will be a year old on Mother's Day. I can not get Harley to accept her. Any tips or ideas? Harley is neutered.Heidi is a very sweet and laid back dog. She perfers to be in someones lap at all times. she does nto fight with Harley or Stainz and will not stand up to eithe rof them.

smurfyangel

Asked by smurfyangel at 9:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Pets

• Two ideas...

First, many dogs bond best with their breed. In other words your two bulldogs bonded quickly and well together doesn't surprise me. The shiz tzu was not part of the club. I And of course, before I get jumped on..yes all dogs can bond.

Second, Harley had his partner, now there is a third wheel. You are lucky the female isn't fighting her. The shihtzu is bonding with the people, not the dogs, not uncommon for shih tzus. And more importantly she takes a lot of your attention away from Harley (in Harley's perspective.) He might be feeling competition from this newcomer who likes the laps of "his" people. Just a thought.

Last, I agree 100%, do not in a million years leave these dogs alone! People often think dogs work things like this out on their own, which leads to injuries or death.

And by the way, shih tzus are very rarely interested in being alpha, they are much too busy looking for a lap to crawl into!

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• 1. You should stop getting dogs. You are getting too many dogs within an extremely short period of time, giving none of the dogs the ability to adjust to each other, to the routines, the smells and whatever goes on in your house. You are, in essence, shoving these dogs together without knowing their temperament, their ability to interact with each other and giving them the time and space to get used to each other.
    2. AllaboutKeely's advice is awful, not to mention potentially dangerous.
    3. Is the new dog fixed? If neither Stainz or the shih tzu are spayed then it's time to think about doing that. You also must NEVER leave harley and the shih tzu alone together. Someone MUST supervise their interactions ALL THE TIME!!
    You need to focus on the three dogs you have, train them well and properly and stop getting new dogs.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Sorry, don't have any tips for you. Just wanted to say I like your dogs' names. What do you call the female?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• The English Bulldog puppy is a female too. The female Shih Tzu was already named Heidi but I am really torn I want to change it to Precious.
    smurfyangel

Comment by smurfyangel (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• walk them together is all i can think of. as for the name of stainz, my husband's friend said if he ever got a dog he would name it stanz so when he called out to it people would hear him say, come stainz as in cum stainz. everytime i see or hear that name it never fails to remind me of that. i would be embarrassed to have to say that.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I named her Stainz because she is mostly white with two brown stainz on her head/face. Hubby got a kick out of me naming her Stainz for the same reason as your friend.
    smurfyangel

Comment by smurfyangel (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Try putting your older dog in a kennel or hold him and then, as odd as it sounds, introduce them back to front. The puppy's back to the older dog's front. It's a less threatening way for a first meeting since dogs will naturally sniff each other's rears to get acquainted and face to face is seen as a challenge/threat. He may perceive her as more of a threat than the others. There may be no clear reason why to you, but obviously he sees something that he finds unsettling. I would also consult a vet or professional trainer if this doesn't work. It may also just be because he's old and doesn't take that well to change anymore.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• All of them are fixed. I took the Shih Tzu to get her off the end of a rope tied to a tree, she was not a planned addition but I am doing my best to make it work. I never leave the Shih Tzu with the bigger dogs unsupervised and I do mean never. Just like I never leave my three year old daughter unsupervised with any of them.
    smurfyangel

Comment by smurfyangel (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I would leave them alone and just let them hash it out between the two of them as long as they aren't hurting each other. Give it a month or so...if they haven't at least gotten to the point to where they just ignore each other, time to think about separating them. Dogs are like people in that they don't like all of them for one reason or another.

What my assumption is that Harley is the alpha dog. Stainz came in as a puppy, so it was easy for Harley to mold him into not being a threat. Heidi came into the mix as an adult and perhaps she wants to be the alpha dog...therefore Harley is not happy with her being around and she isn't backing down as the pup did. And the reason Harley was so okay with the 5 dogs of your uncles is because those dogs weren't on HIS turf.

Good luck!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2011