CanI get some tips on budgeting?

It seems like no matter what I do I can't make our money last all month long. I try to be very careful and usually only buy things we need but here it is halfway through the month and as usual we have nothing left. And we are out of baby wipes. I won't get paid again until the 1st. How do you ladies make it from one paycheck to the next?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• I'm a single mom, three kids and no child support. I use s computer program, like quickin it was like $20 at Wal-mart. I can see upcoming bills and plan for bigger bills. Having if all in front of you helps. Bring able to tske money from here to there to cove everything. Ahead of time, I still hate unexpected bills. But I Uzbekistan managed to save about 50 - 80 a month. Thid has added up.to psych for kids eye exams this year. I ordinarily wanted to save to pay my fer insurance ever six months snd save that 3.50 service fee. It's all in the planning, I also plan out means and buy every two weeks, so ill know we at least havd food to eat. I've been there with no money and no food. Not fun & not cool... good luck
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• write down last months WHAT HAS TO BE PAID (rent/mortgage, elec, phones, etc) Base your groceries off what would be left and coupon and shop dollar stores. Plan your meals. Idk if it is possible to bring home some of your wet clothes and hang up to dry (save a few bucks on the dryer). If at all possible dont wash jeans every week - wear em 2 or 3 times. We use our towels 2 - 3 times - hey your clean when you dry off. Thats a load less a week. Been there honey, its tough but doable. If you don't have a check book - use the envelope method and the post office is usually the cheapest place to buy money orders.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 10:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• From Joyce Meyer
    Save a Little
    Spend a Little
    Give a Little.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• We always give some to our church because its part of our religon. I do my best to keep our expenses to a minimum, we don't even have a car. There is never any left to save.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I wish I could do that but I can't do laundry that often because I have to pay $2.25 a load.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Maybe I am just feeling sorry for myself. Its just that this happens every month no matter how hard I try to be smart with what we have.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Here an alternative solution for baby wipes. 

You might have to make some hard chooses in giving up some things that don’t put food on the table.  Hang in there.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I know the feeling! and with groceries and gas prices soaring where do the ends meet! Try to simplify the problem...
    You either need more coming in or less going out.
    You can cut coupons, use candlelight to see at night, sew your own clothing... It all depends on how far youre willing to go to save a buck.
    I prefer to get more coming in.
    Get a second job? I know it sounds terrible and who has time for that?!
    Even stay at home moms can offer babysitting and still have time with your kids doing it. Your kids might even make friends. Whatever you do, dont despair. You dont need money to be happy, and love dont cost a thing.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 3:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Use the cash envelope system- so say you budget $300 a month for groceries (or whatever the amount is) when you or your SO gets paid take out $300 in cash and put it in an envelope labeled groceries- that way when the money is gone it's gone and you can't possibly over spend.

The trick is to make sure your budget is realistic- you're probably not going to feed a family of 7 for $2 a month even if you want to... and also not to cheat. Don't take from one envelope to put money into something else. If you need to change the budget mid-month so you can have more money, but don't cheat.

You'd only use the envelopes for things that you pay for in person- so eating out, groceries, clothes etc. But you wouldn't use it for utilities, rent, or things like that.

Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• One major thing that I've noticed is to pay your bills on time so you're not paying late charges (or reconnect fee's if it goes that far). Believe it or not you can save probably close to 20 bucks a month (on the low side) by doing that.
    Second is to use your weekly ads and plan ALL of your meals around it, use coupons (no one thinks any less of someone that does, especially when they save 40 bucks or more!), buy your meat in bulk when it's on sale and when it says 1 pound? use 3/4ths of a pound. No one is going to notice that their's 1 less bite (for each person) on their plate.
    A HUGE saver for you is going to be to find someone who will let you use their washer and dryer. You can offer to pay them a dollar a load if necessary. Don't use dryer sheets (it may only be 5 bucks a month but it's 2 gallons of milk.)
    USE all of your community and government resources. Whether that's WIC food stamps or heck even seeing if you ...
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 9:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2011