I don't think I want to do this labor thing again

Ok for backround when I had my son I went into labor on my own at 38 weeks, It was slow so we walked around Walmart(1am it was the only place open) for a few hours till I couldn't talk or walk during contractions. So we headed to the hospital and they told me that I was still at 3cm even though my contractions were strong and every 2 minutes but were uneven(One side of my Uterus would contract that a different time then the other). So my doctor being up the canyon with no cell reception they assigned me to another doctor who had me walk around for 3 HOURS about every two minutes of I almost fell over and was in enough pain I would retch and cry with most of them. After which I was at a four cm so they let me have my epidural which of course stopped labor entirely even though the contractions were the same and I still had a hot spot on my left side. My Doc finally showed up at about 3pm broke my water but nothing happened,we started the Pitocin at 4pm which evened out the contractions and finally made them tolerable and then after 18 hours of labor and 8cm we found out that it was his butt not his head because he pooped. So they called in an OB(my doctor was a GP) who did offer the do it vaginally if I wanted and I said no so we did a c-section. It was the best part of the who experience.
But my biggest doubts are because after the labor I went through my cervix was so low in my vagina it was scary. 4 months later we were thinking of starting to try for another baby and I was wondering why sex was so painful and my cervix was only a little past the first knuckle which scarred me because my Aunt as well as a few other women in my family have had a uterine prolapse. On top of all that almost all women in my family tear horribly and some of them were at home with midwives so something tells me it's not about being confined to a bed.

So considering my past labor experience and a family history like that would you try for a VBAC? I'm really leaning toward just scheduling a repeat c-section but I know it's going to be hell to find a doctor who will do that because I'm on medicaid and federal employee insurance and they are really trying to keep costs down.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 9:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yikes!! If your doctor won't do it, knowing your history, I'd start calling every single dr your willing to drive around to... I wouldn't risk a vbac at all.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 9:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• If done in advance, medicaid will pre-approve a repeat c-section on the doctor's advice. I'm sure given the history a doctor would advise a repeat c-section anyway. I don't think you'll need to worry about scheduling.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I am completely for trying for a VBAC if it is a safe opportunity for the mother and child. I don't think that it seems like the best option for you. I am not a dr and have no experience with c-sections of vbacs so I cannot give any sound advice- only my opinion. I would rather schedule a procedure than risk serious injury to myself or my child when it could have been easily avoided. Hope this helps.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:42 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My son was an emergency C-section. I woke up at 2 am Tuesday morning with BAD cramps (see back labor). From 2 am until 8 am I was trying to deal with pain and the HUGE urge to go to the bathroom, on my own. I was living with my dad, my boyfriend (now husband) with his parents, and I didn't want to wake my dad up. At 8 or 9 am I called my OB/GYN. They called back about an hour later. In that time I called my boyfriend, who had just started work. He dropped everything and came home. The OB/GYN saw me at 10am. I was 6cm and was told to check into the hospital withing the hour.

3:00am Wednesday morning after an epidural, pitosin, breaking my water and the nurses kicking everyone by my boyfriend out of my room I had a choice to make. I was not fully effaced, I was not fully dilated, I was starting to spike a fever, there was muconium (baby poop) in the water, and my son was showing signs of distress at every contraction.

CONT
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• He, my son was an emergency C-section. I found that out 3 years later when I scheduled an appointment with the OB/GYN that delivered him. I ALSO found out at that appointment that I was just too small, bones wise for him to fit through me; and that I had a 50/50 chance of delivering my daughter VBAC. Not good enough odds (HER head was the same circumference at birth as her brother's). I was also on the medical coupons at the time of my son's birth, and for my daughter. I was approved for a scheduled C-section, for MY health and the health of my baby.

My kids are now 7 and 4 and VERY healthy, active children (and looking older than they are because they're so tall).
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• With your story it sounds like a VBAC is safest. It looks like planning a cesarean would be elective and this is more risky.

But you sound like you have a lot of fears and would prefer a cesarean.
    You can get past these with great help and info and support and encouragement.
    Safety is the priority, but it's not the ONLY thing that matters.

Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:07 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I've already gotten a lot of information. Is three books,and more medical studies on pubmed then I can number easily.Does that count as enough information or does it only count when my conclusion is what everybody else wants.
    I understand that from your screen name and where you hang around on here that you are probly a doula(and possibly the blog writer that goes by the same name) and so I realize that vaginal birth is a priority to you. But I'm telling you as a person who knows how to read a study, that most studies saying that c-sections are horribly dangerous are deeply flawed if for no other reason then that they often forget to separate emergency procedures from scheduled ones. I realize that surgery is usually more dangerous but I'm not going into this uninformed.
    I'm not saying this to be rude just to inform you that I have researched extensively
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:30 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• So you want support for an elective cesarean?
    Or is it medically necessary?? If so, what is the medical reason that you would be having a cesarean?
    What is the point?

You asked this:
    "So considering my past labor experience and a family history like that would you try for a VBAC?"
    And I answered.

We are only allowed to respond if we say go for the elective cesarean??
    (eh confused here)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:58 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I'm fine with you giving your opinion. I guess I just got tired of people assuming that I hadn't researched, it kind of makes me feel like the whole world is calling me an uneducated idiot because my research didn't say the same thing as there research.
    But thank for your opinion doulala for the comment even though I disagree with you on the safety thing.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 2:11 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• You are not making this clear: How is it more/less safe to choose one over the other?
    Why would a cesarean be safer??

* I NEVER said you had not researched. Actually, I said "You can get past these with great help and info and support and encouragement."
    (Your post reads like you're looking for a fight. You seem VERY defensive.)
    If you wanted some opinions and encouragement then great.
    But perhaps you just want a cesarean and don't want anyone to say that it could be unnecessary.
    ?

I have just been trying to understand where the surgical delivery would be *needed.*
    You are the only one who can tell me.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:27 AM on Apr. 15, 2011