2yr old boy

My son is 2, turning 3 in July, so he is going to be going to k3 at the local daycare. His speech is there but only when he feels like talking clearly or if you listen for it. He is extremly smart and sweet (not to mention cute) but I do worry about getting him speak clearly so when he does get in the k3 classes he wont be singled out for his verbal skills. Does anyone know of a good way to make him wanna talk? He gets excited or mad and thats when he cant pronounce it clearly. I have taken him to see specialists for both mental and hearing, they all told me he is totally fine and actually above his age skill level in several areas. Also, the only other kids he is ever around are all girls and they all have beaten him up. Since he is not allowed hit anyone, he just ducks down and takes it. I have seen him shy away from all kids his age, thinking hes going to be hit. He is extremly outgoing once he gets to know them but then they beat him up! What am I going to do when he is in class and doesnt want anything to do with the other kids? Haha, I know kids hit but EVERY time he is around new kids, they hit him! I do not want him to hit back...How do I explain to him that not everyone is mean and he should never hit back?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 9:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• honestly, if your son is getting hit that much I would allow him to hit back! I dont care, no one is going to be bullying my baby and him just taking it.
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My 2 year old will be 3 in September and he barley speaks or only we know what he's trying to say..example ( kee-kah) is a cookie.
    I still think he should be talking but the Dr says he's fine normal boy's are slower when it comes to talking than girls and blah blah...H e will be fine Mom
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Maybe have him "read" to you each night before bed. Interact, but let HIM read the story.

And it might have something to do with his social situation, teach him to protect himself, teach him that he is strong, brave, and doesn't have to allow others to pick at him. God knows my son will be living the motto, "if you can dish it out, be prepared to take it." Teach him the difference between being mean and protecting himself.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• One of my munchkins isnt that much of a talker. He is slowly expanding his word use and is getting clearer by the day. WHat seems to help him a lot, is reading. We read about 30 minutes a day and when we read, I do my best to engage him in the story. "Whats that? WHy is the bear doing that? " ect. It gets him talking, and even if you dont understand, its a step in the right direction. Also, when you do understand him, repeat what he said. It helps him to hear what the words are supposed to sound like, and helps him to know that you are listening to him and understand him or are trying to understand him.
    becca2715

Answer by becca2715 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My son's speech went from uninteligible (I knew what he was saying but noone else could understand him) to speaking like a "big kid" in a matter of months. Between 2 1/2 and 3 he is like an entirely new kid.
    Also, what kind of kids are you around that always are hitting your son? That sounds pretty weird. I have been in a few playgroups with kids who aren't corrected for hitting- but they are definately the minority. I would hope that the teachers at your k3 class discipline children who hit so it shouldn't be a problem for your son while he is there.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I have a friend whos son didn't talk "talk" until he was almost 5. She was freaking out - specialist and all - they tried forcing him to talk. She had to go back to work so had to put him in a preschool and pretty soon she was "oh my just stop talking" :) He is extremely intelligent and has an excellent vocab at 7 - I guess he was just processing everything. Give him some time. But I do like the "read to mommy" idea

As far as hitting - tell him this is where he needs to speak up and tell the child NO
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 9:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• As his mother you need to remove him from any situation in which he is being hit, first of all. Second, the Drs all say he is normal, so stop worrying
    Tylersm0m

Answer by Tylersm0m at 10:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2011