Are American baby names the only ones you like?

I have noticed that if people from other countries or from specific ethnic backgrounds people get very nasty when they hear non-American names. I recently posted a question about a middle name for the baby I am having in May and got rude comment because of the name choice we have. We have the name Azianna picked out for the 1st name and thanks to someone's suggestion we have agreed on Claire as middle name. If the baby is a boy we have Drazen Michael picked out. My 8 and 5 year old sons are Luka Matthew and Tomislav James and our 10yo daughter is Teodora Rose. Azianna, Drazen, Luka, Tomislav and Teodora are real names, common in Croatia which is where my husband and I were born. We came to this country when we were little (I was 4 years old and my husband was 7 years old, we are now both 30). We wanted our children to have Croation 1st names and American middle names so that they stay in contact with their heritage. My husband's name is D┼żemail and mine is Njegovana (Americans call us Zee and Jovana or Jo). In the school my children attend/will attend they are/will be surrounded by other Croatian children (it is a Croatian school that teaches Croatian and English and it incorporates Croatian history with American so that our children do not lose their roots) their names are not out of place. Most people do not have difficulties with our 1st names but for those who do they have options to shorten them like Zee and Jovana or Tommy & Tia. Just because we are Americans and just because our children are doesn't mean they should not have some part of their ethnic heritage around them. It seems like many think that just because you are American you shouldn't remember your roots or that only Americans post here on Cafe Mom. Can you not like other names from other backgrounds or do you just prefer American names?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Baby Names

• No I love and dislike names from all over the world, just as I love and dislike American names
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I like a few unamerican names, but I don't know of very many. I don't care if someone names their kid an "ethnic" name or anything like that. Its the seemingly made up names or random food item names that get me. I really wanted to name my daughter Petra or Zayna but dh wasn't on board with those. Congratulations on the new addition!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I like anything that is unique and sounds neat. :)
    Sammy1984

Answer by Sammy1984 at 9:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I like all sorts of names...your children have beautiful names. My great-grandparents came from Greece and i still like names from all over the world.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I don't think you should have to explain your childrens names, or try and justify them to anyone. They are your children, so you can name them anything you want.
    I was born and raised in the US, named our boys, Joseph, Jacob, and Lucas, probably close to the most American names you can get, and I still get asked if I took them out of the bible,lol.... No, I just liked the names, and some of our late family members just happen to have them. I didn't care what anyone thought, or will think. The name doesn't make the person, it's just a name.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• i like very different and unusal names like my one son is dennyson michael mahkhani cramer if i have a dughter prob gonna be like lakhota alijaha marie then zebadia levi ray hibshman all try to as difff as i can and all my 4 kids and my husband and i have 4 names each
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 9:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Well considereing there is technically NO american names unless you are talking Native Americans it is moot to me. Remember that all those who are not Native American came here at one point just as you did and they brought their names with them. Over the years those names have evolved some, but look in any name book and it tells you the origins of the names. Name your child whatever you like, but please consider how it will make them feel as they grow up. Naming your child something like Adolf Hitler is probably not going to be good for him as he grows to adult hood espeically if he doesn't share his parents views!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• and quite frankly its none of anybodies busy what you name your kid they r your and hell even if the kid dont like it they can change it when older one of my favorite names is hawaiin from a friend of mine growin up it nani mahani makhani fogg which is where i got my sons name from
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 9:58 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• hummm I guess it wouldbe like not accepting biblical names either..my cousins names are Amilcar, Eliuth, obeth, and saher
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 10:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• There is no such thing as an "American" name. ALL names are derived from other cultures. Name your children what you want to name them and don't worry about what other people think.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 14, 2011