Nasty gram from the landlord....

Dh and I moved into a rental house in Jan and it was in pretty rough shape. We spent two days just scrubbing EVERYTHING. I cleaned the kitchen cabinets and the washrag was BLACK. We got a lot of snow this year and when the snow finally melted it rained forever and was really really cold, so we hadn't done anything outside yet. Some animals got into our trash one night and then it snowed, so it all got burried under the snow. Two days after the snow melted (happened during teh week, we hadn't a had a chance to get outside and work on anything) I came home to find a huge pile of trash on the porch. I was looking at all the stuff and the landlord had dug in the leaf piles and stuff around the house and piled a bunch of trash that wasn't even hours. I counted THIRTY popscicle wrappers! I threw it all away then a few days later I get this nasty letter form the landlord in the mail abot how awful our yard is and it's bad curb appeal and blah blah blah. I know the trash in our yard is our responsibility, even though 90% of the crap he dug up wasn't even ours. But that letter just pissed me off. We just moved in and did a TON of work cleaning this house. Then we are going to get a nasty letter because of trash that the previous woman left behind?? Sorry but I am not going outside in 20 degree weather in rain and snow digging up someone eles's trash. If the landlord was that worried about it then he should have done before we even moved in. I'm just not sure how to reply to them, or if I even should. I don't want to start anything, but that was ridiclous!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I wouldn't even bother responding.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I would let it roll off my back b/c its not worth getting the land lord peeved and then evicting you over something dumb, lets face it alot of people are immature, but the next time he sends you a crappy letter about something that isnt your issue, call him on it
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 10:02 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I wouldn't respond either, just clean up the yard even though alot of it wasn't your mess.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I wouldn't respond either.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 10:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Nope ignore the letter
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 10:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Id be taking a REAL close look at the lease you have. Landlord or not. He has NO right to show up Unannounced to do ANY kind of work on the property without 48 hours notice to the people ON the lease. That includes yard work and yard work in inclement weather is Unreasonable. GOOGLE rental laws in your state and see what they say. The states rental laws apply to your landlord even if his lease says nothing about state laws.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I wouldnt respond..
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• as far as i know (where i live) a landlord can show up outside on their property at any time to maintain the property, as needed... they can also require in your lease that the yard is kept up... regardless of the weather
    that said...
    it was crap for him to put it on your porch or send a letter... we are landlords and we (while we don't have to give 48 hour notice to inspect the outside of the house) would give a call, a warning, a "hey its a mess out there..." heads up... not a nasty gram.
    i wouldn't reply, simply try to do the best you can to keep it clean... even if it's not "your" mess...
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I would look into the housing codes in your area, you may be able to a hold him liable for how poor the house was when you moved in...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Don't waste what's left of your energy on responding. Instead, keep looking for a better place to live.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2011