Can you freeze a gallon of milk?

I want to buy extra milk cause it is on sale, but I don't want it to go bad... will it be OK if I freeze it?

cldetary

Asked by cldetary at 7:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Food & Drink

• yes you can freeze it & it will be just fine. sometimes i get 2.5 gallons of milk at a time. you just need to make sure to take the frozen milk out of the fridge at least 24 hours before you will need it. it takes FOREVER to melt.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• i dont know i would think so but maybe no hopefully someone else will answer you bettter
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• You can. I don't like to, b/c it...I guess separates is the best way to put it. Like if you make chocolate milk with it, you'll see little specks of white floating on the top. Which I know is nothing gross or bad, but I just can't stand it. I've heard if you shake it really well as it thaws, it helps with that, but doesn't seem to work for me.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Yes you can freeze it...but the container may warp because frozen liquid takes up more space....
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 8:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Yes I freeze mine all the time. Like a PP said, take it out about 24 hrs in advance and let it thaw on the counter for a couple hours before putting it in the fridge. Skim and fat free don't separate that bad, but if you get 2% or vitamin d, just shake it up REALLY good to mix the fat back in after its thawed
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I do it sometimes too. Just make sure it's ALL the way thawed and shake it.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 12:05 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I have frozen milk before. I just shake it up after it thaws.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:18 AM on Dec. 2, 2008