• In the Spotlight:

Am i wrong for spanking someone elses kid?

i spanked my nephews behind in the store today hes 8 years old
today i took him to the mall with me,my daughters and my other nephews and when we got in the shoe store i told all of them to sit down,and not to touch anything now him and my 6 year old daughter got up and started running around,i told them over and over to have a seat,next we get in the party supply store and there's an Asian lady working the register and he rudely says:Aint you supposed to be working at the nail shop"and then he mimics her and says"ching chong ching!
i was so embarrassed that i spanked his behind in the store!
Was i wrong for this?

LABELmeCUTE

Asked by LABELmeCUTE at 10:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, You don't spank kids that are not yours!
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 10:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Personally, I would be pissed if my brother/sister spanked my child. Wouldn't it have made more impact if you called his mom or dad to come get him and then THEY spanked him?
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I guess it would depend on how your nephew's parents felt.

But with that said, if I find out anyone other than DH or myself has spanked my child.....I don't care who they are or what she did...it will not go over well.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I'd be pretty upset if someone spanked my child. I don't even spank them so if someone else did, they'd get an earful from me.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• If it was my kid i would be mad because i don't spank my kids but the are also very good at the store so i have never needed to anyway.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I spank, but never another person's child and never my own in a public place , only at home .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• thanks mommas for your comments but i forgot to add*I have permission from my brother to spank his children*
    LABELmeCUTE

Comment by LABELmeCUTE (original poster) at 10:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Well considering I think spanking is wrong for any child YES you were wrong for spanking your nephew. If you have an agreement with the parents though that says you can spank their child then that is a different story. My SIL spanks her kids and she has been told by me that we do not approve of that and if I find out she has spanked my child we will no longer be swapping babysitting. She has given me permission on numerous occasions to spank hers, but I never have. Usually it happens when she is dropping them off and have not been behaving for her. They generally behave rather well for me though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• He is a relative and knew the rules. I would think it was only wrong if his Mom didnt want you to spank her kid. I think you did GOOD.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I would have made him apologize to the lady - marched him out took him home and told his parents "next time he acts this way I will spank him". My family has told me "you should have" from there I knew I had permission for a swat on the butt. But I only ever HAD to take her home ONCE....from there she obeyed my rules when with me.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 10:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2011