Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it wrong to keep your child from their father, if the fathers life involves drugs and alcohol?

Answer Question

Asked by Alyssa.Marie719 at 10:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 2 (10 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • no , it's safe

    Answer by letstalk747 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • i would think it would be wrong.

    Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 10:12 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • If the father cant stay sober for visitation then yes keep the kid's away from him. But you cant just do it on your own if there is already a court order for visitation in place. You have to go back to court to get the judge to amend it. No matter what your reason's you can go to jail for denying the dad.

    Answer by vbruno at 10:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • I wouldn't be considering it, if he wasn't doing them around my daughter. He smokes weed, and drinks while he has her. And it honestly scares the crap out of me, and it's getting to the point where I think it would be better for her to not be there with him when no one else is around.

    Comment by Alyssa.Marie719 (original poster) at 10:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • There is no court order. Just that he has to pay child support.

    Comment by Alyssa.Marie719 (original poster) at 10:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • Yes, and no. You have to take the right steps to be in accordance with the law. If he is high or drunk when he is with the kid, then take him to court and have the judge require supervised visitation. If its not a danger to the kid, and you deny visitation, YOU could look like the bad parent. Just remember that it truly is the best thing for your kid to have dad in his/her life, in some way.

    Answer by Tylersm0m at 10:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • I feel, from personal experience, it is wrong to keep your child from any parent. Mom or Dad. You do the best to raise them right...but your drama with your ex should not interfere with their "daddy". They look at this man in a whole different way then you. He may be the worst man in the world to you..,but that is their daddy...and he could be the best man in the world to him/her. I wouldn't keep him/her from him.. just make sure your kid is living with you, growing up understanding what is right and wrong. A lot of ppl make bad cant keep them from all of them..and shouldnt be a reason to take them away from their daddy.

    Answer by Mommy103110 at 10:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • No, however depending on any legal child custody agreement-if any- he has the rights stated in that agreement. If you need to go to court to modify or if you don't have one yet to get one, make it leagl and you won't have to worry about it. I would let your childs' dad know that he either straightens up or you will exploit his lifestyle and take away his rights. It may be enough to pull him out of the insanity he is living in. Good luck.

    Answer by LeJane at 10:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • I planned on going down to the court house on Monday. But I know the past 2 times he has taken her, he was high and drunk because I had to stop over there and bring him things for her because he wasnt able to go and get them himself. And he is suppose to take her this weekend, and I am very iffy on it.

    Comment by Alyssa.Marie719 (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • If there is no custody agreement that says he gets visitation then there is nothing legally wrong with keeping your child from him. That being said unless you truly have legitimate concerns about her safety while there then I think kids should be seeing both their parents. The courts will not take your hear say of what goes on there as truth unless there is proof (like he has been arrested or CPS has been there and found issues) so taking him to court and getting a custody agreement may back fire.

    Answer by aeneva at 10:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.