The recession is official

The recession was officially announced today and I am wondering how many of us are ready for the worse that is yet to come. More money is talked about being spent in Washington by our leaders and yet many of us are just scraping by. Many are worried about the little ones for the holidays and the many organizations that give are also struggling. The mailboxes will be filled after the holiday season with seed and plant catalogs and I wonder how many will grow their own food this year. How many will be first time gardeners and learn to can. After the holiday part-time jobs are done many more will be on unemployment. The numbers are sure to go up due to the increasing number of layoffs. Any one of us can have the rug pulled out from under us at any time and I wonder: ARE WE READY?????

foreverb3

Asked by foreverb3 at 7:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I dont think anyone will be ready unless they have a crapload of money saved. i have already thought about growing my own food. i just ask didnt anyone see this coming? why is it all of a sudden everything is going to hell, like out of nowhere? and will it get better?
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 8:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Sorry to be so blunt but only morons didn't see it coming for years. In this day when you can finance a mcdonalds cheeseburger people wonder what is wrong? they give credit to anyone and everyone like it's free samples and people didn't see this coming? Seriously...
    Anonymous

• The recession is a wake up call to all of us that have lived above our means for years. This is one case where the old fashioned way was best: if you don't have the money to buy it...don't! There were no credit cards (except at department stores) and people used Lay-away plans to buy things they didn't have the cash for. Shame on the banks for pushing mortgages that we were too dumb to realize would blow up in our faces. Shame on the credit card companies that raised our credit limits and raised them and raised them...and then shot the interest rate up to the sky! But most of all, shame on us for falling for it!
    Anonymous

• I've got a great deal saved and I could really make it stretch. For some reason, I also stockpile food when it is on sale (not because of the economy, I honestly don't know why I do it...can't pass up a good deal I guess) so I'm sure I could live out of what I just have in my house for literally 2-3 months without needing much if anything from the grocery store. Until they start closing schools and my college, I'm not going to be worried too much about work though.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• i have felt like we were in a recession since bush took his second term, things have been slowing to a halt, layoffs have been happening in big # for years now where i live (ohio) ... i have seen a #5 raise each year as a teacher! that hurts! i dont make enough and i am not keeping up wtih cost of living and i do not qual for any help, btw gov assistance is being cut in my state. i have switched to cheaper stores, i use angelfoodminestries.com ... highly recommend it. we can make it work, our paretns got through the 80's right! worst comes to worst i live in farm country so i might need to raid the orchard and corn fields next fall... lol
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Growing up on a farm, I will tell you right now that nobody on cafemom will be providing themselves with their own homesteaded food sources. They will be seeking assistance and moving back in with mommy. A neighborhood lot big enough to mow with a weedwacker will not provide you with food to live on. How naive the public is right now is unbelievable. Seed catalogs in mailboxes, I am laughing my butt off right now. That is funny.
    Anonymous

• Ok, anon above me here. Every year I raise a nice little garden with corn carrots tomatoes and peas, all kinds of herbs and lettuce. It feeds my family daily and I'm proud of it.

I love gardening and have no intention of moving back in with my parents.
    BTW if you are going to be a jerk, at least put your face on about it. There is no need to be a coward.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• By the way, put away the gloom and doom. Ain't none of us starving here. Live Smart, Work Hard, Pray More.

My grandmother lived through the great Depression and was amazing about it. She talked about how great her mom was and her little fire escape garden.
    The real question is, What lessons are we going to teach our children right now? How scared we are, or how strong we are?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• It's a RECESSION not a DEPRESSION and most of us have lived through one by now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Yes, I am aware of that. And I'm glad that your caps key works. The point was simply that she lived through worse.
    Wow people in here can be jerks when they hide their big bad cm identity.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:10 AM on Dec. 2, 2008