Just moved...How can I get animal smell out of carpet?

So we just moved into a house and the previous owners had a dog, 1 or 2 cats (not too sure), a rabbit and 2 ferrets. I am wondering and really hoping that there is some way to get the smell and whatnot out of the carpets without having to get all new carpeting done. Any suggestions?

pinkie8986

Asked by pinkie8986 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Have you tried Stanley Steamer?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:42 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Do you own the home? If so it might be a good idea to just get new carpet. If you can't afford it then I would go to petco/petsmart, and get some odor remover for it. If you're renting I would call the landlord and have them replace it, that's just gross, and germy... I wouldn't let my kids run around on it if it's that bad.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Yea a professional service may be needed here. For what I would tell you to use on smells like that and a professional extractor machine Stanley would be cheaper by far. If you rented the place the landlord is required to get them cleaned and smell free.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My dad has industrial carpet cleaners and he did all the carpeting already and the animal smell faded a little bit but it's still there. He is planning on doing all the carpet a second time but I'm worried we won't get much of a result...
    pinkie8986

Comment by pinkie8986 (original poster) at 10:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Bissel Proheat 2X- It runs around $200.00 and it is the greatest home steam cleaner I have ever worked with.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Try the Bissell shampoo when your dad does it again. The shampoos can make all of the difference. There is a pretreat and a shampoo which is specifically for pet odor and works great
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Um, we had this same issue. We had professionals come in and we own a Bissell cleaner, NOTHING gets it out. It goes away for a second, then it comes back. Shampooing is a band aid for a permanent issue. In some areas of the house it even makes it stink more. It's probably in the padding. You have to tear up the carpet and replace the padding, maybe even cleaning the flooring underneath.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Wetting the carpet with steam cleaners over and over again is just wetting the smell all over again.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• i agree, its just wetting it, and covering it up... you'll need new carpet
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:27 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Id shampoo it very good and see if that helped.
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 14, 2011