Chore Ideas?

We have 4 kids (only 3 full time)... The kids are 8.5, almost 4, almost 3, and just-turned 1. I'm looking for chore ideas for them, because I want them to get used to helping around the house with little stuff (I don't expect them to be maids. lol. Just that they learn to clean up after themselves and to help). They will get an allowance, too, so it will teach them that they have to earn stuff. Any ideas for chores for each of them? Right now, DS (almost 4) and ODD (almost 3) put their dirty laundry outside their rooms, and pick up their toys. YDD (1) doesn't do ANY, and she won't until she's probably 2, which is when we started with the others. My SD (8.5) will be here for the summer, and I don't know what kind of chores would be good for her age, either.

laird6372

Asked by laird6372 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sort recyclables; dusting furniture; sweep kitchen; set the dinner table; clear dinner table; fold laundry; feed cat/dog; put away clean dishes; empty garbage cans/take out garbage, etc etc I could go on....
    Tylersm0m

Answer by Tylersm0m at 10:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• SS and DD are required to keep their rooms clean or picked up. For each day that they do this, they get a sticker. Since SS is only here every Tuesday and every other weekend,once he gets 20 stickers, he gets $10
    DD, it takes 30 stickers for her to get a toy when shopping.

They don't get an allowance for things that I would do myself. I don't get paid to clean house so neither should they. I have kids to be slaves...in the sense that I am not their maid and they need to pick up after themselves. If I don't teach them, I will be taking care of them the rest of their lives. They need the basics of how to take care of themselves.

I give money when their attitude and behaviour has been good and I don't have to remind them to do their work.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• well the younger ones can help with wiping down tables and counters and the 8 year old can help with trash and dishes and sweeping, most 8 year olds can do alot with help also at certain things... I think chores are good.. my 9 year old likes to swiffer the house lol, just some ideas, hope i helped... oh and the younger ones might like helping u guys load the dishes, i know they cant do it on there own, but they will learn for when they get older.
    angelrach86

Answer by angelrach86 at 10:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Thanks ladies!!!!
    laird6372

Comment by laird6372 (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• At 2 my boys started "making" their bed (course I redid). Take out trash, vac, sweep, dust. Heck anything you do housework wise they can learn. If you have a yard - help pull weeds, plant flowers/veg.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 10:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I have a 7 yr. old, 5 yr old and a 3 yr. old.. The younger one just wipes the counters off and help pick up things in the house.. My other 2 put up their own laundry, put away toys, vaccum, sweep and mop, etc... Just the basics. I think it teaches them that you have to earn things in life. Nothing is free!
    ProudMommie87

Answer by ProudMommie87 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Thanks ladies!! We want to make sure they learn that they have to "earn" things, and that they learn to clean up after themselves. We also want them to learn responsibility... :) Thanks for all the ideas!!!
    laird6372

Comment by laird6372 (original poster) at 1:13 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• i have my 5 year old help me by having him clean his room of course and pick up any dishs around the house,take out the trash,and i sweep and he holds the dust pan,and he also helps me dust as well.
    jtaylor03

Answer by jtaylor03 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 15, 2011