Would you take in a homeless youth in trouble with the law?

My DH and I took in a 18 year old about six weeks ago. He's been on his own since he was 14 and in trouble with the law. (he's on probation until June)
He was working with DH (until the job screwed them around) and something just really touched our hearts about him.
We gave him love and a chance, and he's doing so freaking awesome! He's got a new job, hasn't missed a day, never goes out with out DH or I (unless it's work), doesn't do drugs anymore and is very well behaved. We're very lucky that our other kids accept him and have become friends. To us, he's family and we refer to him as our son.

I just find it strange though, that people seem so shocked or surprised?!
This kid just need a chance, someone to love him unconditonally and to believe in him.

mrsvixen

Asked by mrsvixen at 10:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think it really depends on the circumstances. If I didn't know the kid, probably not. But in your case, you know him and have seen something in him that deserves your support and love.

Kudos to you!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• my DH and I took in a troubled person who had nobody, it was hard work but it payed off hes doing great!
    angelrach86

Answer by angelrach86 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• thats amazing. i think there are somethings that are just right. i think if your able and willing to take in a kid thats not even yours and give them the love and support they need than you are amazing people. most people these days wouldnt do something like that. good for you.
    adriana1024

Answer by adriana1024 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• i think that people are shocked b/c this isn't normally the case especially when the teen is on probation. it more times than not that it doesn't end well. so i am so happy to hear a story like this and kudos to you for doing something that most people wouldn't!!!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 10:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• An 18 y.o is NOT a youth! Its an adult in the eyes of the law. At that age a drug addict WILL go back to the drugs the first chance alone or first trouble they get. Sorry, it's how 99% of the young addicts act today. I hope Im wrong. At least your trying to help a lost person.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Actually here, he's not a adult until 19.
    We didn't know him very long before we decided to do this. (maybe 3 weeks)
    it's hard to describe, something just clicked.

He's forever thanking us, hugging us, and saying how we've saved his life. We just gave him a chance, he's doing the rest.
    mrsvixen

Comment by mrsvixen (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It would really depend on the circumstance. I think I would or hubby would have to know the teen at least a little. You are doing a great thing and God will bless you for what you are doing to help him. Christ said, "You do it to the least of one of these, you did it to me." Sometimes they need just that one person who will reach out with a loving and helping hand to help lift them up and get them that start that they need. Ignore the people who do not understand or think you are crazy for what you are doing.
    mlanderson

Answer by mlanderson at 11:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It would depend on the situation. Your situation you guys seen the good in him. he wasnt a "nobody".. glad you didnt say "not my kid, not my problem".. Good for you guys! :)
    A friend i know kinda did the same thing. They really helped the guy turn his life around.

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• No. But then again, I have an 18 month old. I have to make sure he has peace and stability in the home at all times. Having an 18 year old suddenly live with us wouldn't work.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:29 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I would like to foster transgendered or gay teens. They have great difficulty with finding safe placements. Yes, I would consider a teen who has issues with law enforcement. But also depends on the issue. Physical or sexual violence would be out because I have a four year old son. Shoplifting is not a violent act so that would be acceptable. Running away, stealing, ect...as long as violence was not in the equation. Our case manager with foster care advised us to not have older kids who act out agressively. The key word is aggressively. Many kids in care act out not all are violent rages or aggressive. But I have been more and more looking at teens.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:24 AM on Apr. 15, 2011