Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Anyone been in a similar situation?

My fiance and his ex's parenting plan states that no one whom he or she is romantically involved with can stay past the kids' bedtime. Since we are getting married is there any way I could be an exception or coudl we get it changed? I'm assuming she would have to agree to the change or we would have to get married for me to be an exception


Asked by Jillian529 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Relationships

Level 4 (49 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Unless you go back to court to make the change, no you can't be an exception. It is placed in the documents for the childrens protection. So there are a stream of 'lovers' being paraded thru the kids' life.

    And yes, she would have to agree.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 11:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • And, when I say go back to court, it only has to be presented to the judge to sign off on. As long as both parties agree, you just submit paperwork amending the original decree, the judge signs it and no court appearances are required. But, you will have to get attorneys involved.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 11:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • Right. He had it put in there because of a domestic assault incident with her and her ex girlfriend in front of the kids. And thank goodness it is in there because she has been with 3 different people in 3 months.

    Has anyone ever gotten married earlier than planned because of a similar situation? His papa is a preacher and told us if she gave us trouble he would go ahead and marry us. My mom just doesnt agree bc she wants me to have the wedding i've always wanted which i would only we'd already be legally married....

    Comment by Jillian529 (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • I think that you have found a man that is willing to put his kids first. Wow you are SO lucky! Those guys are hard to find. Would you feel the same way about him if he wasn't that kind of guy? Be proud of your man and encourage him to be that way! Don't rock the boat on the tenuous relationship he has managed with his ex! Respect his decision.

    Answer by Ms.Gwen at 9:23 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

  • I do respect his decision to have that put in the papers completely. It's just we have a house together now since we are getting married and I would love to live there ALL the time without him being in contempt. As for his relationship with his ex, it's not managed at all. She tries to control everything when he has the kids, and here lately she seems to find some reason to bitch at him everyday. He has gotten to the point where he's tired of her crap and there is going to be no communication between them other than IMPORTANT matters about the kids. He's not going to listen to all the "Why are you doing this?" or "Why didn't you do this?" What happens at his house on his week is none of her business as long as the kids are being cared for and are safe.

    Comment by Jillian529 (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Apr. 15, 2011