How much do you censor your child's t.v.?

I read this article posted here on the Stir, and it really offended me the way the author compared those of us who choose not to censor our children with meth addicts. 

I don't censor their t.v. at all. I hope they see something they don't understand, because I know they will ask me about it. We will have a meaningful conversation, and they will grow up knowing and understanding the world around them a little better. Rather than being sheltered and hidden from it. 

Seriously, how does that make me a neglectful parent? 

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 11:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• We only censor explicit sex, violence and language. If it has no point to the plot then I see no point in it and the kids don't watch it and neither do I. I don't get gratuitous sex scenes or excessive language or violence for violence's sake.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It's your choice. I son;t see it as neglectful or harmful is you are talking about it and I assume you aren't sitting them down with popcorn to watch a slasher film at 9...
    I choose to closely monitor my kids TV. It's just what we do and I like my choice for my family, I would expect every one to be the same way.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I do know what my boys are watching, but to watch it to make sure it is ok if they watch it, I don't. There are some shows like Pokemon and Dragon Ball, I do not get or understand, but I have not told them they can not watch it. We have gotten into discussions about things they have watched. As for shows with sex, I do not have to cencor. If there is the slightest hint of sex, they changethe channel.
    mlanderson

Answer by mlanderson at 11:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• But_Mommie, I respect your decision to censor if that's what you choose, and I would never compare you to a drug addict for your decision. (Do I think your kids are sheltered? Yes, but still they are your kids, and it is your choice.) I was highly offended that the author chose to do that in her article. I've thought long and hard about to censor or not to censor (as I'm sure all parents do) and I've chosen not to (although no my boys do not watch gratuitous sex and excessive violence).
    my2.5boys

Comment by my2.5boys (original poster) at 11:12 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Seeing as my son is in public school I do not feel he is sheltered from anything! lol. The article was crossing a line for sure. That was a stupid connection to try and make.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I agree with you.

My blog post about it: LOL

http://themominformed.blogspot.com/2011/03/i-have-confession.html

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My chidren (11 & 13 ) watch so little TV there is no need to censor it . They do not have it in their rooms, we have only the one TV in our home . They read quite a lot, we do not censor that , but by husband supervises their computer use .

janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• you know I just re-read my answer and I must say there was about 30 mistakes! The big one being it should have said I wouldN'T expect everyone to be the same way!! Thanks to everyone who didn't vote me down!! I am so glad I caught that! Sorry Op if that offended you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Thank god everyone in this post is civil. And can read and comprehend. LOL Because "But Mommie" would have been in trouble. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:30 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My kids are 4.5 and nearly 2. I let them watch PBS Kids, Noggin, Disney, and a few other preschool oriented shows/movies. My oldest pretty much self-censors and anything he finds too disturbing he asks me to turn off. This has included several Disney movies, btw.

I don't see any point in exposing my kids to subject matter they aren't ready for just so I can be entertained.

I also don't feel that I am overly "sheltering" my kids, as I'm always looking to expose them to new experiences and ideas that are appropriate for their age, yet pushing them to new understandings about how life works. However horror films and other "R" or "NC-17" rated entertainment is not about to make that list at their age!
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 11:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2011