My 18 month old isn't walking yet, any suggestions?

My son is 18 months, and he isn't walking yet. He is crawling (since 10 months) and pulling up and cruising shortly after. He is a climber and is very active. He has been evaluated by Early Intervention and is on track in everything else (except speech which he also receiving therapy) He recently started PT and has walked 5 to 6 steps unassisted a few times but the last few days he's been super stubborn and arching his back when he knows I'm about to work on walking. His therapist says he's got the skill he just needs to want to use it. He doesnt seem scared, it seems more like him being stubborn. Anyone else go through this before or are currently going through it now? I need advice and tips and just someone to vent to!

elstrawn

Asked by elstrawn at 11:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a friend that did this. Her doctor told her parents that it was because when she wouldn't walk, they would carry her. When they started insisting that she walk on her own and refused to carry her, she started on her own.

Not saying that this is what is happening with you but that is the only time I've known of anyone with this issue.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

Thanks for the answer :) to better clarify, he doesn't try to walk by himself, the times he took steps, I initiated them by standing him up first. He crawls everywhere, and I only carry him really if were in public. He doesn't try to stand up without support either.
    elstrawn

Comment by elstrawn (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• my son had the skills from 11 months but just refued point blank to walk he just did it one day and niver stoped he was 13 months when he did so maybe your child will to
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 4:43 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My son is 17 months and JUST took his first steps two days ago!!! He is a late bloomer. My others all walked around 12 months. We haven't worked with him at all. He loves to crawl, and we figured he would get it eventually. Just a week or so ago, Micah (my 17 month old) he started standing up in the middle of the floor. Once he was confident he started taking steps. Since he is older and has waited so long to be sure he had balance, I am guessing he will be running soon. :) I wouldn't push it. Let him take his own time. He will probably try standing on his own next week. :)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:48 AM on Apr. 16, 2011