Freedom of Speech (USA only)

Yes, it's stated that we, as US citizens, have the right of freedom of speech.....but do you believe we actually have it? Or do you feel that we are too censored?

I had a conversation with a friend a couple of weeks ago. It was a situation to where I believe she has thought a lot about and does not believe we have it; whereas I just have faith that I still have it.

I am just curious as to what others thought.

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 11:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Hell yes you have the right to freedom of speech. You just may have consequences. If you're in doubt, move to China for a month!
    Tylersm0m

Answer by Tylersm0m at 11:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• You have freedom of speech, and so do those who hear that speech. People who are too weak-willed to accept the consequences of their own free speech (the part where they have to let the other person disagree with them) tend to refrain from speaking at all and insist their rights are being infringed. But they really aren't, they just choose to give them up.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:09 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• IMPO freedom pf speech is up for interpretation. Slander, traitors, threats... Yeah, not really so much free to say those things. If I went in and told my boss he was a moron, I would lose my job. If I sent out a mass message saying I wanted to blow up town square, I would be arrested. If I told my new boss my old boss was a lying sack of shit I would be taken to court... Freedom of opinion sure! Freedom of speech... well, it kind of depends.
    Anonymous

• Yes. We have the freedom of speech. However, with that freedom you don't have freedom from the consequences of what you say. You know what they say.   With rights come responsibilities.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:07 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• We have it, but unless we continue to fight for it, we will lose it to people who wish to silence us.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

***
    ^^^ THIS!!

And it does seem to disproportionately affect one group more than the other!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:37 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Freedom of Speech - What a wonderful thing!
    Anonymous

• Hm well it depends on what you are saying lol So guess we kind of have it, but I dont think too much of it b/c I aint saying anything that going to be getting me in trouble =)
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Yes. We have freedom of speech.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:29 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Yes, but with that freedom comes responsibilities. And many don't consider that, nor the consequences of what happens after they speak. There are those that are very good at walking the fine line between what is legal and what is not. But what they say is very hurtful to others, but since it's legal, it's protected. There is where I think comes the responsibilities. Those same people do have a soft spot, and if someone were to find it, and dig at it as they do to others, they would crack. KWIM? But yes, there is a freedom of speech here and sometimes I think there is too much of it.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2011