Help me....

I am weighing the pros and cons of buying this house... I know that it is mostly my heart telling me that I want it ( as you will beable to tell withsome of the pros) , and maybe if I get an outside opinion it could help.

PROS:
-good price ( basically the only house in our price range that is decent)
- lots of updates ( like the furnace and roof)
- amazing yard
- a deck
- dry basement ( it had been raining for days the first time we looked at it, the house before it literally had 4 feet of water in basement)

- 2 bathrooms ( almost impossible to find in our price range and they are huge)
- upstairs laundry room ( almost unheard of in an old house here )
- possible 4th bedroom ( one room downstairs has a large closet)
- room for birthday parties and Christmas ( never had a house big enough to fit all of our family and I would love it if we could)
- good resale ( new windows and siding and was valued $30,000 over what we will pay)
- the stairs will make for nice pictures when the kids are older and go to prom and such
- the kind of house I would like my kids to grow up in ( like I did)
- up town ( right down the street from park and library)
- lots of room and closets
- vintage charm ( hard to find here )
- might be a LONG time before we find another nice house that we can afford

CONS:

- most likely will have high utilities
- electric hasnt been updated
- needs a stove ( we have a fridge but will have to buy a stove since ours is built in here)
- might be haunted
- might find out it will need alot of work
- not the best street ( but it is on the corner of a nicer street)
- paying more than for a smaller house

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Get more information. You can ask the realtor for a copy of the utiliity bills, taxes etc. If you can afford it, and things look good, get a home inspection done so you know all you need to about the house before making a decision. Have fun ! :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Get an inspector to do the hard guess stuff like work needed. If you make an offer, make one Continent on inspection. You CAN call the electric and other utilities and find out what was being paid any given average month. Haunted house can be unhaunted. No street is crime free, but if hookers and crack addicts are on the street at night then you might want to pass.Go there at night and see what the street is like. Im a Realtor. So Im not talking out my ass. If your using a Realtor Sit down with them at the MLS and MAKE them input ALL your criteria in front of you and look at the houses listed. MANY Realtors steer people and never show you dozens of homes that are in your criteria. The market is Overfull of SO many homes right now I find it impossible to think theres only a few homes with your criteria. If you have any more questions PM me and I will help as best as I can. No Im not going to charge you or ask for anything.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• may be haunted? f' that lol! Im a big baby tho... lol
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• lol the haunted thing is a big thing for me...... even if it isnt I think I would still make myself think that lol....... when we first moved into this rental ( a 1950s ranch) ... i didnt sleep at all for the first 7 months because I thought for sure it was haunted lol ...

I am also worried about rats.... I can handle bugs but If I ever seen a rat I think i would have a heart attack lol

Also ...we live in a super small town, there is currently 24 houses listed for sale right, and most of them are over our budget or needs serious repairs .... we live in a cheap area also -- most houses are under $100,000 - the average being around $72,000 .... this house is valued at $84,000 and it is selling for $57000 because it is a foreclosure ( the people got a divorce and then abondoned the house and town ) we are approved to buy it and everone that we have had look at it has said it is a good deal because when the * continued
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• * people were living there, they fixed it up nice, they got new windows and basically did everything except the electrical ( which is a big thing I know) . It is a beautiful house, probably one of the prettiest in town , they really took good care of it.

we are having it checked out tomorrow but I know even after an inspection you can still get surprises.... I just feel like we will buy it, move in and then find out several things are wrong with it, and right now we dont have a ton of extra money to spend if some things did happen....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• If you are approved for the loan and the inspection meets your expectations then I'd buy it. I love vintage houses!
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:12 AM on Apr. 15, 2011