Paying for college

So, my son is in the 11th grade, I am single mom with a solid income, I will be paying for college, how much do you think I should start putting away each month, starting now, so that I get ahead? Are there anyways to get additional scholarships??-

DallasMomVicki

Asked by DallasMomVicki at 11:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• I don't know about scholarships or anything (my DD is only 5), but if you haven't started putting anything away for college yet, I'd say something like $500/month would suffice.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• here in WA (idk your state) we have a program called GET. its really great.

http://www.get.wa.gov/

hopefully you can find something similiar for your own state.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• oh and you guys can research scholarships. there are ones that are like a couple hundred or even just like a hundred bucks each but the smaller ones aren't hard to get. just have him start working on like one per month kind of a thing. like one project or so a month and anything he can get out of that will help. my friend did that starting his jr. year and he got enough little scholarships to pay for his entire first year of YSU
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Have him (and you) talk to his counselor at high school. On-line has alot. Locally check the library. Even if they are for only 100$ that is a book....can you get his Dad to help. I struggled (so did ds) for the first 2 years of local college to pay ourselves....but ds has such a passion for learning and wanted to go higher I HAD to get Dad to "help".
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 11:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• fastweb.com has a lot of scholarships.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 6:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Whatever you don't need for the essentuals...lol
    Please stay away from student loans. I would have the child working and saving to contribute also.
    shewholoves

Answer by shewholoves at 6:30 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Find out what college he wants to attend and then find out all fees and tuition his first year will be. Calculate from there how much you will need to set aside every month. Also calculate if he will be living away from home to pay those expenses as well. GL

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• research on the computer
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 7:35 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• YOU NEEDED TO THIS WAY BEFORE HE ENTERED INTO 11TH GRADE. IT DEPENDS ON WHAT COLLEGE HES GOING TO. THERE ARE FININICAL AID PROGRAMS. IT ALSO DEPENDS ON HIS GRADES.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 2:09 AM on Apr. 21, 2011