What are your thoughts on this?

What are your thoughts on this?

7-Year-Old Samantha Shaw Gets Plastic Surgery To Prevent Bullying

sendcheer

Asked by sendcheer at 11:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• the link isnt working!!!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• i googled it. i didnt read the whole thing. but that isn't that big of a surgery is it? i dont find it THAT appalling. i mean i was expecting a nose job.

BUT I do find it horrible that her parents were like oh lets just get surgery. instead of teaching her and the other kids differences are good, not somethign to make fun of. i really think the wrong lesson was taught.

but i am relieved it was just the ears pining back, not a nose job haha XD
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• ok sorry for the third comment lol but i was just thinking i cant believe they found a plastic surgeon that would do plastic surgery that wasn't necessairy on a little girl. the things people will take your money for.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• The surgery was free of charge through a charity. A child's self-esteem is a very important and fragile thing. Telling a 7 year old to suck it up and ignore it doesn't make the bullying go away. If pinning back her ear makes her feel good about herself then pin it back.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:34 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• A guy in my high school had his ears pinned back---his parents were all in favor of it. I see nothing wrong with it. If they have the money, why not? This was 45 years ago so its not a new thing,nothing unusual.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:48 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Eh, I find the entire headline a little misleading. I, too, was expecting a nose job or something similar. I'm not nearly as bothered by this as I was when I was thinking of rhinoplasty. I'm not really sure why, though.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:42 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Not surprising it's a HuffPo blog, but talk about being a drama queen. Wonder if that author has a hissy about kids getting cleft palates fixed, too?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:04 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I don't see it as a big deal. Parents have been pinning back their kids ears for generations. It wasn't ever a big deal. Now, if she were getting her a boob job or something, I may see an issue, but ears? No.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:17 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Its really a bit much and a really FLIMSY excuse to TRY and prevent bullying. ALL the kid's already know How she looked BEFORE and arnt going to stop teasing her once it's done. They will probably tease her more.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• As I said in one of my groups, that little girl was bubbly, talkative and seemed emotionally stable. When questioned by the reporter, she said she wasn't bullied. When she had her hair down, it wasn't really possible to see her ears. Mom was doing this to "prevent" bullying. My guess is that mom faced a lot of torment in her own childhood and has projected her fears and anxieties. It's sad (to me) that the little girl was subjected to surgery and the risks of anesthesia and is now playing out her story for the national media. Now she's going to be teased about getting plastic surgery. Not to mention, how do you think this little girl will look to solve other body-issues as she gets older?

I thought she was adorable before the operation.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 1:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2011