My little boy is 18 months old what age is the best age to start potty training?

and are boys harder to potty train than girls?

ethansmommy909

Asked by ethansmommy909 at 11:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• some people say they are easier but some people say they are harder. I worked at a daycare and I always found girls were easier. BUT since then I've seen differently!
    my boys are 18 months I'm going to start them fulltime in a few weeks. they love sitting on the potty and tell me when theyre peeing or need a diaper.
    I think the best time is when theyre ready.
    -can tell you when they need to go/need a diaper
    -wake up after a nap dry
    and another one i have heard is if they are able to push their pants down and pull them back up
    thats what i've been teaching my twins lately.

good luck!!!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Is he asking for a clean diaper, or letting you know when he is wet? Does he show any signs of wanting to be potty trained? My ds is 3 and refuses to go on the big boy potty. We have tried everything. I was so flustered and disappointed in myself for him still being in diapers. His doctor told me not to make it a struggle. It's easiest to do it, when he wants to. Have him sit on the potty every 15 mins, once he goes a while with a dry diaper in-between, up it to every 30 mins, then 45.... Keep upping it until it. 'clicks' ( this is what I've been told works, we have tried it with ds, but has pnt worked yet... ) good luck
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• At 18 months my daughter was telling me she was pooping or peeing in her diaper as she was doing it, so I bought the potty and started talking to her about it... it totally shut her down. She wouldn't sit on it for a year lol. It had to be entirely HER idea. I was actually putting my son to sleep when she used it for the first time after I tried so hard to get her to do it. She's almost 3 now and still only half potty trained. Every child is an individual. Watch him for HIS signs that he's ready. It's not too early to start talking about it, though :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:30 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I'm glad I seen your post so I can see other cafemoms comments, because I wanted to start potty training my son as soon as he walks well.
    Diamond2010

Answer by Diamond2010 at 2:38 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I have been told by my daughter's pedeatrition that it is best to wait until they are close to the age of 2 but in some cases you just go by how they act. My daughter is 21 monthsand almost ready to potty train she knows when she need a new diaper she takes the old one off and hands it to me, but I can't get her to sit on the potty yet. She has a 5 yr old half sister that is trying to get her to go potty when she does but hse still won't do it. It just takes time, watch him and look for signs that he is ready and you can't lose.
    Mandy_yanna13

Answer by Mandy_yanna13 at 3:37 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Most advice says wait until children are two or later to start. The earlier you start the longer it will take. Google "toilet training readiness" and you'll see a lot of useful info.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:01 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I believe its more of them showing signs that they are ready rather than a specific age to be ready.Here are some signs to look for:
    *removing diaper when wet or soiled and bringing it to you and telling you its dirty
    *grabbing diaper area and saying "pee" or poop" before peeing or pooping (or whatever words you use for this)
    *able to feed self
    *able to follow simple directions
    *able to say simple words and short phrases

I went on amnazon.com and bought a potty training book and it has helped me to understand so much and has been a great resource in this potty training ordeal,lol.
    Hope this helps,Good Luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:35 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My son was easier than my daughter, but I know that was because of their personalities. I started way too early with my daughter and ended up fighting with her for 2 years about using the potty. It is best to wait until they are ready if you have no real reason to rush it. My daughter was finally potty trained (and for me that means able to go to the bathroom when they know they need to) just before her 4th birthday. My son was potty trained just before his second. They need to be able to tell you they need to go and be able to get their pants up and down. You can start them early with introducing the potty, so when it comes time to "train" they aren't scared of the potty. Let him accompany you and your DH to the bathroom. Explain what you're doing. Let him flush for you. Let him sit on the potty naked while you are running his bath (it doesn't matter if he goes or not). Let him sit on a kid potty whenever.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 1:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Boys tend to be more stubborn when it comes to potty training. I started my DSs at 17 months. I did slowly so they would enjoy it and made it fun not stressful.
    lilmommy10805

Answer by lilmommy10805 at 2:44 AM on Apr. 16, 2011