Baby is still sick...

Now she is coughing like there is phlem in her throat that she cannot seem to get out. When I took her to the Dr. she said I was doing the right thing with: Vicks vapor rub, Humidifier, Nose Suction thingy. Any other suggestions, what am I doing wrong?

rizeabove

Asked by rizeabove at 12:01 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how long has it been? sometimes you're not doing anything wrong, sometimes it's just a cold and you can only make your baby comfortable as she fights it off. it's very hard to feel helpless. my doctor also recommended having her sleep on an incline, steam baths (just run a hot shower and sit with her in the bathroom, not in the tub) and keeping her hydrated. i think your doctor should give you an indication of "if it's not better by xxx date, take xxx action." good luck, hope she gets better soon.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 12:05 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• this might sound crazy to some. i thought it was pretty crazy too when my sons doctor told me this. He said while he is sick buckle him in his car seat at night while the humidifier is running. It never fails everytime he has gotten sick, i've done the car seat, little noses and suction and the humidifier and he was well again in a few days/ The can breathe much easier in more of a sitting up position. Which makes sense if you think about it

jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 12:11 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Thank you, I do feel helpless because she is only 7 months :/ Her Dr. didn't say anything except let it run its course. This was Monday. She's had a runny/crusty nose since last Thursday, ran a slight fever Mon-Wed and developed this cough yesturday. I will try the steam from the shower, Thank you again :)
    rizeabove

Comment by rizeabove (original poster) at 12:12 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• A little extra fluids would help and every thing else your doing..you could try a steamy bathroom..Im not sure if that helps with the phlegm but I know it helps coughs and stuffiness..it could go up to 2 weeks but just try keeping her comfortable as you can..poor baby :(
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 2:07 AM on Apr. 16, 2011