Any mothers out there who have raised boys? I have 2 little ones & saw all these books today on how to raise them & how difficult they can be : / I'm a little scared lol any advice? I don't spank them I feel that would make them aggressive....

sissaymay

Asked by sissaymay at 12:17 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Just for Fun

• 3 boys here! Give me 30 boys to 1 girl! The books are usually a GENERAL observation and each child is different. I will say the one thing I did that I am MOST proud of is, teaching them that housework is NOT womens work. I like to say I have raised them to be the kind of husband I would choose! The express their emotion and my oldest at 24 is not afraid to shed a tear!
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 10:33 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• i have twin boys that are 9, they are typical boys- they rough house, play army, video games and leggos.
    don't depend on books to tell you how to raise your kids, they are YOUR kids and only you will know how to raise them.
    Trust your heart and your gut and you will raise your little boys into strong happy men.
    dimpsedee34me

Answer by dimpsedee34me at 12:21 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I agree. I have 3 boys ages 19, 21 & 28. I didn't spank either. My father once told me that if you discipline out of love...not anger, frustration, that you would do the right thing. I haven't been a perfect mom, but I've tried to act out of love for my boys, and although at times they have challenged me, they've grown up into intelligent, sensitive, caring young men....if I do say so myself! Can I add handsome?

I don't care if you have boys or girls, you would have challenges....it's just part of parenting.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:27 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My husband & I raised 2 sons, one is 24 & the youngest is 20. Boys are AWESOME! There is absolutely nothing to be afraid of. Just love them, support them and treat them respect and you'll be amazed at how wonderful they turn out. My biggest piece of advise would be, if you discipline them, stick to it, don't be a push over. They'll respect you more when they get older :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:31 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Don't let those books get to you. Each and every child is different in their own way. Don't just assume the worst. No two kids are the same. Treat them the way you want to be treated, treat others the way you would want them to treat other people. Children do learn what they live. If you raise kids that way, you will do just fine. Respect cuts both ways.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:35 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Stay away from the books ... motherly instincts will do just fine.

There are challenges to raising either a boy or a girl; do not be afraid of either. You'll be fine!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• 3 boys here a total of 5 kids. My eldest son is 25, and my two youngest boys are 4 and 5. Two girls in between. Like anything else, books may give you a few pointers or ideas..not a bad thing, but you can't base how you raise them on any one book. I do however love the book Raising Cain, Protecting the Emotional Welfare of Boys. It just lets you know it is ok to allow you sons to express their feelings, rather than stuff them. That sadness is a part of life and that sadness sometimes includes tears. That big boys DO cry, and it is healthy...healthier than stuffing those emotions becasue society will label you a momma's boy. Go with your gut, you will be fine.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:40 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• wow thank you everyone : ) I feel better now, the books do scare you a bit lol " How to keep your son out of jail off drugs" what! anyway I'm going with my own instinct Lots of hugs n kisses, respect, & understanding & no hitting like Ive been doing.
    sissaymay

Comment by sissaymay (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I was spanked as a child.. I turned out okay. :) I probably won't spank spank my children, I'll either give them a little swat or just sit them down and explain that what they did was wrong for whatever reason. And spanking only works for so long.. one of my nephews became immune to it, and I believe a niece of mine is too because she -still- does what she was told not to.
    andiecheyenne

Answer by andiecheyenne at 9:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2011