Would we have to pay ?

We having been renting this house for the last year and a half... we have no lease ( we asked her about one a couple of times and she kept saying she would get to it) but after awhile we decided we wanted to find a house to buy so we figured it was nice that we didnt have one.

we have now found our house.... I am going to call her tomorrow to tell her we will be out by May 1st ( and also let her know that she can have our appliances since our new home comes with brand new ones ) ... we pay $400 for rent ( we originally payed $350, but then she uped it) and we gave her $250 for a down payment .... even though we fixed up the house i still hink she will try to keep the down payment...

So as long as we and all of our stuff are out by May 1st... we shouldnt have to pay for that month of rent right ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• It depends.....do you rent for the month from the 1st to the end of the month? If so, then yes, you are not responsible for the month of May as long as you have everything out and the keys delivered BEFORE May 1st.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:42 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• As long as you are out and give her the keys by April 30th then you shouldn't have to pay for May.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 12:53 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Usually even without a lease, you have to give 30 days notice, just as she would have to give you 30 days notice to move out, if she didn't give you notice, you could have a hard time finding a place to live. Read your rental contract carefully. It probably says you both have to give 30 days notice, in which case you will probably have to pay for May.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:54 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• we do not have a rental agreement ... we have never signed anything or had any kind of verbal agreement ...

I mean honestly I would like to give it to her because I am nice like that..... BUT .... we really do not have the money to spare even those extra few hundred dollars....

i mean we are giving her the appliances and letting her keep the down payment -- I just feel like we should have to pay... but I just wanted to make sure that we couldnt get in trouble for not doing so.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:08 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• It depends on local laws. Contact your city's renters rights office.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:54 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• If you didn't sign anything I don't know how anything could be enforced. I mean if even if you wanted your $250 deposit back and she wouldn't give it to you I don't think you could make her since there isn't any paperwork.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 7:29 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Without a 30 day notice she may be entitled to keep your deposit, but beyond that without any kind of contract....there's nothing to enforce.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:25 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Correct you DONT pay for time your NOT there. No lease? The owner CANT do shit to you for moving even if you give No notice.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• It depends where you live. There are alot of laws to protect the renter and the rentee. Go online to your city/state website and make sure you are with in your rights. If youre willing to lose the security deposit, than dont worry about it. The $400 is hardly worth the drama and fees of small claims court to most people. Without a signed lease she cant report it to the credit companies... Just do what you feel is right. I think you are being more than generous with the appliances!
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 3:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2011